SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Neurology
Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders
The Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders Center at UHB provides expert evaluation and treatment of memory and behavioral disorders associated with Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and cerebrovascular disease. The staff is skilled at distinguishing memory changes that are normal in aging from those that are early signs of Alzheimer's disease. The staff also has experience evaluating cognitive problems associated with HIV.
Services provided by the Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders Center at UHB include:
- Evaluation of patients with symptoms of memory impairment
- Behavioral neurology assessment
- Neuropsychological assessment
We can usually distinguish memory changes accompanying normal aging from first signs of Alzheimer's disease or other dementias.
- Differential diagnosis of dementia subtype
- Using information from the clinical history, neurobehavioral exam and neuropsychological exam, brain imaging, and other appropriate laboratory evaluations, we can determine whether the dementia syndrome results from Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, vascular disease, frontotemporal disorders, or other entities.
- Brain imaging (CT, MRI, PET)
- Electroencephalography (EEG)
- Pharmacologic therapies for dementia and its secondary symptoms of depression, agitation,
hallucinations, sleep disorder, etc.
- Standard pharmacologic therapies
We can also facilitate referrals for:
- Social work and legal services
- Family counseling
- Family support groups
- Depending on the wishes of the patient, the family, and the referring physician, we can see patients for consultation only, or, we can monitor progression, drug effects, and secondary symptoms with continued care.
For more information or to refer a patient:
Call the UHB Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders Center at 718-270-6388
UHB Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Disorders Center
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Ave., Box 25
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Phone: (718) 270-6388
Fax: (718) 221-5761
All insurances accepted.