SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Medicine
At Downstate your wellbeing is of utmost importance to us. While everyone has their own ways of addressing the challenges posed by residency, there's a lot that we do as a family:
- Organized social events such as six flags trips and open mic night
- Annual Prospect Park Picnic /Smorgasbourg outing
- Happy Hours!!!
- Social Journal Club events with faculty
- Program leadership receptive to our concerns and encourage resident participation in all major decisions.
The residency Wellness Committee comprises of a group of residents who work to provide support and promote general well-being and mental health of all the residents. The committee works in close collaboration with other department wellness committees, housestaff quality improvement teams, and other organizations. Frequent social and recreational events are arranged, which in the past have included rafting trips, skiing trips, hiking, bowling nights, movie nights, painting nights, charity fundraisers, dodgeball tournaments, and intramural sports.
- Competitive Salary
- Health insurance includes spouse/domestic partner, and children
- Optional Retirement Savings Plan
- Malpractice insurance
- Paid sick leave
- Four weeks vacation each year
- Funding if presenting at regional or national meetings