SUNY Downstate Medical Center
HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
Workforce Confidentiality - Safeguards for Protected Health Informations
As a member of Downstate's Workforce, it is your responsibility to safeguard the confidentiality of Protected Health Information (PHI).
REMEMBER - SAFEGUARDS MUST BE IN PLACE WHETHER ONSITE OR OFFSITE!
- Never Share Passwords
- Properly and Securely Dispose of PHI
- Never Leave PHI Unattended
- Encrypt PHI Whenever Possible - Always When Transmitting Over Internet or Taking Offsite
- Don't Discuss Care in Public Areas
- Follow Guidelines When Using Portable Devices
- Review Chart for Patient Consent Before Discussing Care with Visitors
- Immediately Report Lost or Stolen PHI
- Follow Minimum Necessary Guidelines
When faxing protected health information, be sure to follow Minimum Necessary Guidelines and to always use DMC's Fax Cover Page.
Report Lost or Stolen PHI
All workforce members must report lost or stolen protected health information IMMEDIATELY! Reports can be made to the Compliance Line:
(877) 349-SUNY (7869) – Toll Free, 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week; or
Click here for the Compliance Line Website to make a report via the web.
Or, report directly to the Office of Compliance & Audit Services at (718) 270-2095.