Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions

SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University

Health Alerts

Housing Resources

Tenant Rights Hotline by the Met Council on Housing

  • (212) 979-0611
  • Free and open to any tenant living in New York City.
  • Hours of operation:
    • Monday, 1:30-8pm
    • Tuesday, 5:30-8pm
    • Wednesday, 1:30-8pm
    • Friday, 1:30-5pm


  • Homebase will help you develop a personalized plan to overcome an immediate housing crisis and achieve housing stability
  • You may be eligible for Homebase services if you:
    • are at imminent risk of entering the NYC shelter system
    • are low income, and want to remain stably housed in your community
  • Call 311 and ask for Homebase

Intake Shelters Directory

  • Open 24/7

Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)

  • Rent stability program for the elderly
  • Call 311 and ask for a SCRIE specialist

Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE)

Ready to Rent

  • Get help with affordable housing applications.

Cash Assistance via the Human Resources Administration (HRA):

If your work schedule was reduced as a result of the Coronavirus and you are unable to pay your rent, you can apply for a Cash Assistance special grant request to get benefits for emergencies.

  • If you have an active Cash Assistance case, the fastest way to submit your request is online on ACCESS HRA.
  • You can apply in person for a one-time grant at a Job Center.
  • Call HRA Info line at (718) 557-1399 to learn how to apply by mail