SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Shivakumar Vignesh, MD, FASGE, FACG, AGAF
Associate Professor of Medicine
Chief, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Director, Gastroenterology Fellowship Program
Tel: (718) 270-4772 • Fax: (718) 270-7201
Dr. Vignesh is a superbly trained, board certified Interventional Gastroenterologist with expertise in advanced endoscopic procedures and endoscopic oncology. He is an expert in endoscopic ultrasound, pancreatico-biliary endoscopy, endoscopic ablation, and resection techniques for precancerous abnormalities of the GI tract, including Barrett's Esophagus management, mucosal cancers and large colorectal adenomas.
His specialty training includes a fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Albert Einstein Medical Center/Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, and a fellowship that focused on ERCP at Yale University School of Medicine. Dr. Vignesh also completed an advanced fellowship in endoscopic ultrasound at the Medical University of South Carolina, training under the pioneers of therapeutic endoscopy, Drs. Peter Cotton and Robert Hawes. He also underwent hands-on training in endoscopic submucosal dissection at Tokyo National Cancer Hospital and Keio University Hospital under the "Masters of Endoscopy," Drs. Saito and Yahagi.
Immediately prior to coming to SUNY Downstate, Dr. Vignesh directed the Advanced Endoscopic Oncology Fellowship at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, Florida, and was a tenured associate professor of Oncologic Sciences and Internal Medicine at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, where he served as site director of the USF Gastroenterology fellowship. He has presented widely at Grand Rounds and as an invited speaker at national and international symposia. Dr. Vignesh is an ad hoc reviewer for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, American Journal of Gastroenterology, and PLos One, and has published articles focusing on advanced endoscopy and early diagnosis of esophageal and pancreatic cancer.
Clinical Areas of Interest
- Barrett's esophagus and early esophago-gastric cancer: Endoscopic resection and RF Ablation
- Pancreatobiliary diseases: Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS-FNA), therapeutic ERCP and cholangioscopy
- Endoscopic resection of large polyps and mucosal cancers of the GI tract
- GI Oncology: Endoscopic diagnosis, staging and management of GI cancers;
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS-FNA and FNB/Core biopsies) of GI cancers and other lesions of the GI tract; mediastinal lymphadenopathy
- EUS guided drainage of pancreatic pseudocysts
- EUS guided biliary drainage in malignant biliary obstruction
- EUS-guided celiac plexus block and neurolysis for pain management (benign and malignant indications
- EUS staging of esophageal, gastric, pancreatic, biliary and rectal cancers
- EUS guided fiducial marker placement for locally advanced cancers of esophagus, rectum and pancreas for IGRT or SBRT
- ERCP for biliary stone disease
- ERCP for biliary strictures and stent placement (benign and malignant)
- Cholangioscopy (SPYGLASS) and direct visualization of biliary strictures and biopsies
- Biliary cancer ablation (RF ablation and PDT)
- Endoscopic Ampullectomy for ampullary lesions
To schedule an appointment, please call (718) 270-4772
1997 - 2000
Residency - Internal Medicine (PGY1-PGY3)
Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital/UMDNJ, New Brunswick, NJ
2000 - 2002
Fellowship-Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Albert Einstein Medical Center/ Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
2002 - 2003
Gastroenterology Fellowship focusing on ERCP/ Therapeutic
Endoscopy, Yale New Haven Hospital, Yale University School Medicine, New Haven, CT
2006 - 2007
Advanced Endoscopic Ultrasound & Endoscopic Oncology Fellowship,
Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC
Hands-on Training in Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD,Tokyo National Cancer Hospital and Keio University Hospital under Drs.Yutaka Saito, Takahisa Matsuda and Naohisa Yahagi.
Hands on Live Animal lab training in ESD and Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy at the ASGE
Asian Masters Course;
USF CAMLS Center Live animal lab course.
- Alboraie M, Piscoya A, Vignesh S. "The Global Endo-COVID working group". The global impact of COVID-19 on gastrointestinal endoscopy units: an international survey of endoscopists. Arab J Gastroenterol. 2020 Aug 26. doi: 10.1016/j.ajg.2020.08.008.
- Reddy A, Amarnani A, Chen M, Dynes S, Flores B, Moshchinsky A, Lee YJ, Kurbatov V, Shapira I, Vignesh S, Martello L. Privacy Concerns About Personal Health Information and Fear of Unintended Use of Biospecimens Impact Donations by African American Patients. J Cancer Educ. 2020 Jun;35(3):522-529.
- Han S, Obuch JC, Duloy AM, Keswani RN, Hall M, Simon V, Ezekwe E, Menard-Katcher P, Patel SG, Aagard E, Brimhall B, Ahmad A, Alghamdi S, Brown MD, Broy C, Carlin L, Chugh P, Connolly SE, Cooley DM, Cowley K, Di Palma JA, Early DS, Ellert S, Gaumnitz EA, Ghassemi KA, Lebovics E, Lee RH, Lunsford T, Massaad J, Mittal M, Morigeau K, Pietrak S, Piper M, Shah AS, Shapiro A, Sonnier W, Sorrell C, Vignesh S, Woolard S, Wani S. A Prospective Multicenter Study Evaluating Endoscopy Competence Among Gastroenterology Trainees in the Era of the Next Accreditation System. Acad Med. 2020;95(2):283-292.
- Dhaliwal AJS, Strosberg JR, Centeno BA, Vignesh S. Diagnostic performance of endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration for cystic and non-cystic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Endosc Int Open. 2019;7(7):E854-E859.
- Caceres J, Munoz-Sagastibelza M, Hossian AKMN, Paredes J, Barrera K, Mattheolabakis G, Martello LA, Vignesh S. Evaluation of the feasibility of intrapancreatic delivery of drug-loaded microparticles via EUS-guided fine needle injection using a swine model. Endosc Int Open. 2019 Aug;7(8):E1008-E1017.
- David Y, Ottaviano L, Park J, Iqbal S, Likhtshteyn M, Kumar S, Lyo H, Lewis AE, Lung BE, Frye JT, Huang L, Li E, Yang J, Martello L, Vignesh S, Miller JD, Follen M, Grossman EB. J Confounders in Adenoma Detection at Initial Screening Colonoscopy: A Factor in the Assessment of Racial Disparities as a Risk for Colon Cancer. J Cancer Ther. 2019 Apr;10(4):269-289.
- Iluyomade A, Olowoyeye A, Fadahunsi O, Thomas L, Libend CN, Ragunathan K, Fenster J, Vignesh S. Interference with daily activities and major adverse events during esophageal pH monitoring with bravo wireless capsule versus conventional intranasal catheter: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Dis Esophagus. 2017 Feb 1;30(3):1-9.
- Zhu RC, Rattanakorn K, Pham S, Mallam D, McIntyre T, Salifu MO, Youssef I, McFarlane SI, Vignesh S. Survival benefits in colorectal adenocarcinoma with the use of metformin among a black diabetic inner-city population. Colorectal Cancer. 2017;6(1):33-41.
- Randall E. Brand, Alex.T. Adai, Barbara A. Centeno, Linda S. Lee. George Rateb, Shivakumar Vignesh, et al; A MicroRNA-based Test Improves Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Cytologic Diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology: 01/2014; DOI:10.1016/j.cgh.2014.02.038.
- Morse B, Centeno V, Vignesh S; Autoimmune Pancreatitis: Updated concepts of a challenging diagnosis. AM J Med. 2014 May 14; doi: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2014.04.033. Review
- Harris CL, Toloza EM, Klapman JB, Vignesh S, Rodriguez K, Kaszuba FJ. Minimally invasive mediastinal staging of non-small cell lung cancer: emphasis on ultrasonography-guided fine-needle aspiration. Cancer Control. 2014 Jan;21(1):15-20.
- Vignesh S, Gupta A, Endoscopic Therapy of Barrett's related Neoplasia and Endoscopic Palliation of esophageal Cancer. Cancer Control. (Accepted)
- Vignesh S, Hoffe SE, Saif MW; EUS-Guided Pancreatic Diagnosis and Beyond, Journal of the Pancreas. 2011 Mar 9;12(2):86-91.
- Romagnuolo J, Hoffman B, Vela S, Hawes R, Vignesh S. Accuracy of contrast-enhanced harmonic EUS with a second generation perflutren lipid microsphere contrast agent (with Video); Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2011 Jan;73(1):52-63.
- Vignesh S, Brugge WR, Endoscopic Diagnosis and Treatment of Pancreatic Cysts, The Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2008 May-Jun; 42(5):493-506.
- Vignesh S, Jamidar P. EUS guided pancreatogastrostomy and pancreatobulbostomy; Working our way to NOTES, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2007 February; 65(2):242-6.