SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
12 /10 / 2018
- UHB IT Closet Upgrade Project
The Contractor will be working in the evening hours near A1-592 adjacent to the Emergency Room area and near Elevators 10 & 12. The contractor will be seen working inside the ceilings pulling wiring through to its destination.
- 14490 BSB Power Upgrade Project
Power disruptions are planned for the 2nd through the 8th floors this week: the evening of December 10th will focus on the 2nd and 3rd floors; the evening of December 12th will concentrate on the 4th through the 7th floors and December 13th will only affect the 8th floor. All the occupants in the affected areas have been notified to plan for the disruption for any special arrangements that maybe required for this work.
- 141024 Bronchoscopy HVAC Renovation Project
The Contractor will be seen examining ceiling conditions throughout the areas adjacent to Room A2-634 within the Radiology department.
- 141015/15231 CO Detection Project – Simplex Grinnell
The Contractor will be visiting various University Hospital’s Departments asking to replace Fire Alarm annunciator device covers. This quick-minute process that should not encumber any of the department’s normal activities.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus