SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
Week of 1-14-2019
- 141000-04 UHB Mechanical Penthouse Waterproofing
The Contractor will continue removing the existing floor inside the UHB Mechanical Space this week. Occasional light jack hammering will be heard throughout the floor above, particularly when standing on the 8thfloor Suites. Please bear with us as this process will be limited to only certain areas on the 9thfloor.
- 141000-05 UHB Power Circuit Tracing Project
Contractor personnel will continue to be visible this entire week throughout the 2ndfloor Laboratory areas surveying existing outlet connectivity.
- 141024 Bronchoscopy HVAC Renovation Project
The Contractor will have a crew working during the day installing electrical system components on the 3rdfloor L&D Suite adjacent to Room A3-513. A night crew will be exploring the ceiling conditions on the 2ndfloor Radiology Department during the evening hours this week to complete the routing of plumbing piping to the new Bronchoscopy Suite.
- 141015/15231 CO Detection Project – Simplex Grinnell
The Contractor will continue in various areas of the BSB and the HSEB replacing Fire Alarm annunciator device covers. This quick-minute process that should not encumber any of the department’s normal activities. Access into the affected BSB Laboratories will continue to be requested prior to visiting.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus