SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
Week of 9-7-2021
- Project 141056 - Escalator Removal Project – BSB
Progress Demolition 1st-6th Floors, 1st Shift
No work at 7th floor scheduled at this time, target start 09/11. Sprinkler workload, walkthrough on 09/07. Awaiting logistics and planning for 7th Floor Phase Work, Phase3 Abatement and Escalator Removal - Start TBD.
- Project 14XB40 HSEB Roof Replacement
Progress Roof Replacement Main Roof Progress Repairs, finishes at Main Roof. Roof Bulkheads/Smoke Hatches potential target 09.09 Start - pending final coordination. Progress roof replacement activities at main roof. Bulkhead roof replacement coordination on going.
Phase 3 Roof: Rigging Activities
09/07-09/09 as coordinated, for Roof I Lenox, closure of library areas at 1st and 2nd Flrs, daily 7am-6pm.
Target roof work start 09/09 - TBD.
2nd Shift Shutdowns or Saturdays for smell work, and shutdowns or Perimeter AHUs.
- Project # 1316/141031
Installation of OR chiller plant’s related CHW and CW water devices. Inside the OR suite doing related space renovations (i.e., ceiling, ducts, sprinklers) & duct cleaning. On roof doing cooling tower related work. Potential hallway survey work for above ceiling conduit installation.
- 1447/141004 - Campus DAS Project
Running coax above the ceiling as well as installing antennas into the tiles on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of the UHB.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus