SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
Week of 8-19-2019
- 14BX43 UHB Roof Replacement Project Replacement of the Roof is occurring over areas of the Main Bed Tower Roof as the weather allows. The Contractor is planning to place a large crane within UHB Service Courtyard on Saturday, rain date will be Sunday. Access will be restricted to the UHB Service Courtyard during the material placement on the UHB Bed Tower Roof.
- 14B17 BSB Boiler Replacement Project
The Contractor is planning on removing sections of concrete along the HSEB and BSB Courtyard adjoining the Service Entrance Ramp this week.
- 144055 5th Floor Infusion Suite Renovation Project
The Contractor continues with efforts with refurbishing finishes on the 5thfloor adjacent to Stair No.3.
- 141000-05 UHB Emergency Power Circuit tracing
The Contractor crews will be visible this week on the 2nd floor inside the Radiology Suite.
- 141079 UHB Water Risk Management Survey
Survey groups will be continuing during normal hours within the 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors this week. They will be examining existing piping systems in the specific areas in the UHB.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus