The Department of Family and Community Medicine, School Based Health Centers (SBHC) have been providing high quality primary, preventative and mental health services since 1981, serving the communities of Eastern & Northwestern Brooklyn. Co-located in your child’s school, the SBHC provides an opportunity for students to become patients of the clinic, accessing care when needed, as a result helping our patient population and school community succeed in a school and make healthier choices in life. Staffed with licensed health care professionals, the focus of the school based health centers are prevention, early identification, and developing a treatment plan for medical and behavioral concerns that can impact the students ability to learn.
Services are at n o cost to you, even if you do not have health insurance (we can help you sign-up for health coverage).
- Comprehensive physical exams for working papers, sports physical, and after-school programs
- Management of chronic conditions (asthma, obesity, and diabetes)
- Sick visits, bumps and bruises, headaches, stomach pains, menstrual cramps and other acute care visits
- Screening for vision and hearing
- Age appropriate reproductive health care for our middle and high schools
- Health education
- Mental health services, supportive counseling and or referral for socio-economical needs, including: depression, anxiety, social and academic stress, family transitions and much more!
- Staff are licensed health care professions from SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Children do not have to miss a day of school to visit your primary care doctor. You will not have to miss a day of work either!
- Walk-ins are welcome!
- We assist you and your family with health covered if and when needed
- There is no out of pocket cost to you or your family for the services provided
For more information on School Based health, please click here for our brochure.
We are here to help!