SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Employee Assistance Program
NOTE: These links are provided for information only. The inclusion of a link on this site does not constitute or imply accuracy, nor does it imply endorsement by the Downstate Medical Center EAP, NYS EAP, or the State of New York. Any information gathered from these links should be used with appropriate discretion. For more information contact your EAP directly.
Alcohol & Drug Links
- Alcohol Screening
Is drinking alcohol harming my health now, or will it be harmful to me later in life? Should I stop drinking alcohol? Am I a binge drinker? If you consume alcoholic beverages, it's important to know whether your drinking patterns are safe, risky, or harmful. Answering these questions will take only a few minutes, and will generate personalized results based on your age, gender, and drinking patterns. Your responses are completely confidential and anonymous.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
Alcoholics Anonymous is a voluntary, worldwide fellowship of men and women from all walks of life who meet together to attain and maintain sobriety. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership.
- Drug Screening
The quiz seeks information about your possible involvement with drugs not including alcoholic beverages during the past 12 months. The various classes of drugs may include cannabis (marijuana, hashish), solvents (e.g., paint thinner), tranquilizers (e.g., Valium), barbiturates, cocaine, stimulants (e.g., speed), hallucinogens (e.g., LSD) or narcotics (e.g., heroin). Remember, the questions do not include alcoholic beverages.
- NYS Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
Need help? Looking for a treatment provider or treatment facility? If you or someone you care about needs help contact 1-877-8-HOPENY (1-877-846-7369)
Budgeting / Finance Links
- Clear Point Credit Counseling Solutions (formerly Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Central New York)
Provides confidential financial counseling for the North Country, Southern Tier, Capital Region, Central, and Upstate New York.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling
Find confidential financial counseling that is closest to your location anywhere in the country.
Child Care / Parenting Links
- ADD Referral
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder information.
- Child Care Aware
Locate quality child care and Informational publications for parents seeking child care.
- NYS Office of Children and Family Services
OCFS has wide-ranging responsibilities for the provision of services to children, youth, families, and vulnerable adults.
- Parent to Parent of NYS
A place where families of individuals with special needs and the professionals who serve them can meet and share information.
- Prevent Child Abuse
Site includes Child Abuse Resource Room for kids and parents.
Domestic Violence Services Links
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Domestic Violence Support - HRA
- New York State Domestic Violence Hotlines
- NYS Coalition Against Domestic Violence
Numerous resource links including County Programs, Safety Plans, DV Handbook and much more.
- NYS Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
This site contains information about domestic violence and various referral sources including hotlines and NYS organizations.
Elder Care / Disability
- NY ACTS
A single comprehensive resource to go to for important information on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and New York State (NYS) services available to address the needs of these individuals and their families.
- Office for the Aging
List of local offices for each county across the state.
- Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance
Self-service tool that will help determine which assistance programs you may be eligible for.
- AIDS Information NIH
Offering information on HIV/AIDS treatment, prevention, and research.
- Alzheimer Association
- American Cancer Society
- Hospice Net
Information for patients and caregivers.>
- Medicine Net
Family health and wellness information.
- NYS Department of Health
Healthy Lifestyles and Prevention.
- The Internet Rx Drug Index
Searchable database of commonly prescribed drugs.
Mental Health Links
- National Institute of Mental Health
Information on most mental health problems.
- NYS Office of Mental Health
Links to Mental Health Resources.
- Self-Help Sourcebook for Mental Health
Exploring real-life support groups and networks that are available throughout the world and in your community.
- WellNYS Everyday
Helping people practice healthy behaviors
- NYC Bike Share
Helping people ride their bikes safely
Problem Gambling Links
A self-help organization for the spouse, family, or close friends of compulsive gamblers.
- Gamblers Anonymous
A self-help organization for compulsive gamblers who desire to stop gambling. There are no dues or fees for membership.
- National Council on Compulsive Gambling
A national advocate for programs and services to assist problem gamblers and their families. 24-hour confidential helpline: (800) 522-7400.
- New York Council on Problem Gambling
24-hour confidential Helpline: 1 (800) 437-1611
- Stress Management - HelpGuide.org
- Stress Management | American Heart Association
- Stress: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Working with Difficult Employee/Co-Workers
- How Do You Deal With Difficult Employees?
- 4 types of difficult co-workers and how to deal with them without losing your mind
- Tips for managing difficult employees - Talent Gear
OTHER HELPFUL WEBSITES
- Help for quitting smoking
- New York State Official EAP Website (helpful info on general topics)
- New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence
- CAMBA Caribbean American Merchants Block Association
- COVID-19 Community Conversations: Resources and Frequently Asked Questions
- Find Your Calm
- National Student Debt Forgiveness Center