SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Centers of Excellence - Cancer Institute
Iuliana Shapira MD
Director Cancer Institute
Chief, Hematology Oncology
Welcome to SUNY Downstate Cancer Institute!
I am privileged to welcome you to SUNY Downstate Cancer Institute!
The SUNY Downstate Cancer Institute houses a collaborative group of world-class surgeons, physicians, scientists and allied health professionals working together to enhance the quality and breadth of services for cancer patients, their families and the community. Formed in 2015, this multidisciplinary group offers complete patient care – from surgery to radiation therapy to chemotherapy, patient navigation, clinical research, patient education, support groups and cancer screening activities.
You and your family have all resources needed for your care right here!
- Your treatment plan will be charted by an integrated team of experts that includes surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, cancer geneticists, nurses, social workers, researchers, dietitians and other medical professionals and support staff, as appropriate. We offer our patients a superior, personalized approach to their care and cutting-edge clinical research to bring to you the therapies of tomorrow today!
- You are welcome to partner with nationally recognized physician scientists and have access to innovative national research studies. All these opportunities are available right here in our own community. Our Cancer Institute conducts many cancer research activities on-site and participates in the most promising aspects of cancer research. Our program has garnered well-deserved attention and will positively impact future generations of patients here in Brooklyn and all over the country.
- You have immediate access to the most advanced cancer imaging and treatment technology including: DaVinci Robotic Surgery, Computed Tomography Scanners, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, digital breast cancer imaging and others. Our exceptional physicians are also teachers, serving to educate the next generation of physicians, nurses and health care professionals. SUNY Downstate ranks twelfth nationally in the number of alumni who are on the faculty of American medical schools. More physicians practicing in New York City have graduated from SUNY Downstate than from any other medical school.
- Our staff is here to provide you with the most up-to-date treatment options and quality, compassionate care.
- We know that having a diagnosis of cancer is frightening for patients and their families.
You are not alone, we are here for you! Thank you for choosing us!