SUNY Downstate Medical School/University Hospital Brooklyn (Sponsoring Affiliate)
University Hospital of Brooklyn is the teaching Hospital of SUNY Downstate Medical Center, and the only academic medical center that provides patient care, education, research and a committment to community services for almost 5 million people residing in Brooklyn, Queens and Statent Island. UHB was inaugurated in 1966 and stands as a 376 bed facility in Central Brooklyn. It consists of 12 operating rooms, 8 intensive care and step down units, emergency service department, ambulatory surgery and diagnostic facilities, ambulatory care centers and over 75 clinics in addition to 3 satellite Health Centers and a Dialysis Center nearby.
Both LICH and Downstate have been serving Brooklyn for more than 150 years. The medical school was created as the teaching division of Long Island College Hospital in 1860. It later became known as the Long Island College of Medicine in 1930 and the State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center in 1950, with a new campus developed in East Flatbush. SUNY Downstate's University Hospital of Brooklyn opened in East Flatbush 1967.
Brooklyn VA Medical Center
The Brooklyn VA Medical Center located in Bay Ridge has been affiliated with SUNY Downstate since 1975. The VA provides highly regarded oncology and palliative care teaching services. The VA offer residents the opportunity to learn the entire array of medical procedures.
Kings County Hospital Center (http:www.KCHC@HHC.NYC.org)
Kings County Hospital Center was built in 1831 as a one room infirmary and has a rich legacy for its pioneering role in medicine. It now stands as a 625 bed facility and remains on the cutting edge of technology and provides modern procedures with state of the art equipment. It continues to be a leading healthcare facililty with the mission to providecare to everyone regardless or their ability to pay. Providing a wide range of health services and specialties in all fields of modern medicine. With more than 200 clinics, KCHC operaties a world-reknowed Trauma Center, serving the millions of residents of both Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island.
Long Island College Hospital (www.wehealny.org/patients/lich_description.html)
Serving Brooklyn for more than 150 years, Long Island College Hospital was established in 1858 and was one of the nations first medical schools and the original site of all of SUNY education programs. LICH stands today515 bed facility located in Brooklyn Heights.LICH is the newest addition to SUNY Downstate Medical Center's University Hospital of Brooklyn (UHB). UHB now includes three campuses, providing one of the broadest reaches of any healthcare organization in Brooklyn. The unification of SUNY Downstate Medical Center and LICH renews and confirms our mutual dedication to serving the people of Brooklyn through a three-fold mission of education, research, and patient care.
Staten Island University Hospital (www.SIUH.edu)
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (www.MSKCC.org)
The Brooklyn Hospital Center (www.TBHC. org)
SUNY DOWNSTATE MEDICAL SCHOOL
HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF UROLOGY
The history of this department dates to 1856 with the founding of the Brooklyn German General Dispensary. The name was changed to the Long Island Hospital and Medical College on December 23, 1857. In 1930 the institutions were separated. Long Island College Hospital remained the same but the medical school was entitled the Long Island College of Medicine. In the early 1950s the campus of the medical school was moved to its current location and the name changed. It became the State University of New York College of Medicine at New York City. Subsequently, the name was changed to the SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn and again to its current name the SUNY Downstate Medical School.
As the art and science of urology developed, a urology division within the department of surgery was formed. However, in 1965 the then urology division chief, R. Keith Waterhouse, succeeded in forming an independent department of urology. Interestingly, when the medical school moved to the current location there was no hospital. Thus, the multiple affiliations that the institution and the department currently have are by design. It was never the intention of the administration to build a large monolithic university hospital. However, due to the efforts of the faculty a small university hospital was subsequently placed adjacent to the medical school. Its name is University Hospital-Brooklyn. It remains the smallest of hospitals in the department’s residency program.
Upon Dr. Waterhouse’s retirement in 1982, Dr. Richard J. Macchia was appointed as the ACGME program director and professor as well as interim chairman. He received final appointment as chairman in 1988.
Under Dr. Macchia’s leadership the department and our residency training program has undergone many changes reflecting the changes in medicine as well as in medical education. In 1982 a U2 rotation through the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center(MSKCC) was initiated. The program at that time had four residents in each of three urology years as well as four residents in each of two pre-urology surgery years. Dr. Macchia changed the program to three residents in each year and added a fourth urology year. Several years ago, the configuration of the program was changed again reducing the pre-urology requirement to one year while maintaining the four years of urology training.
Dr. Macchia has also expanded the program from the original University Hospital/Kings County Hospital and Brooklyn VA Hospital to include other institutions. This was a reflection of the philosophy and original design of the medical school. This improved our cultural, social, financial, and faculty diversity. An important addition to the resident rotation was the invitation by MCKCC to send a urology-4 resident to that institution to function as a fellow for four months. We believe this invitation speaks highly of the quality of our residents and the training they receive in the PGY1 and first 3 urology years.
Our program has always been fully accredited by the ACGME.
The department has undergone significant changes since 2003, which have dramatically improved the quality of its educational program. These changes are outlined in section 5B of the PIF. Dr. Jeffrey Weiss joined the faculty as Professor of Urology in 2008, eventually assuming the role of ACGME Program Director in July of 2009 and Department Chair in June of 2010. Dr. Weiss instituted the new Urology Curriculum which involves core didactic lectures given by residents and faculty weekly on a 2 year rotation schedule. A formal organization of Downstate urology research activities has taken place under Dr. Weiss' guidance, with emphasis on voiding dysfunction, cancer in an underserved inner city population and urolithiasis. Dr. Brian McNeil was recruited to the department in January of 2011, the first fellowship-trained African American Uro-oncologist in the city of New York."
Many of our graduates have gone on to fellowship training. Several are internationally renowned in their field. Many former residents are now on the faculties of academic institutions from coast to coast. Two are ACGME program directors.