SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Vision, Mission and Goals
School of Public Health Vision Statement:
Grow the SUNY Downstate School of Public Health into a nationally recognized School of Public Health that is known for leadership in urban and immigrant health, fosters the development of new knowledge and public health practices, trains diverse public health professionals, and creates innovative models to empower communities to address health disparities.
School of Public Health Mission Statement:
The mission of the SUNY Downstate School of Public Health is to advance public health knowledge, promote health and well-being, and prevent disease and disability within communities, particularly in urban and immigrant ones. Such actions are accomplished through excellence in the education of public health professionals, scientific investigation of public health issues, and service to communities through collaborative partnerships.
- To provide an academic environment for public health education, research, and practice in an urban setting with an emphasis on urban and immigrant health.
- To educate individuals through an academic program that prepares graduates to identify, address, and resolve public health issues and manage public health programs in diverse settings, especially urban environments with different racial, ethnic, cultural, religious, and socioeconomic groups.
- To advance public health knowledge through scientific investigation of health and disease, with a focus on urban and immigrant health issues.
- To disseminate and interpret research results to professionals, patients, individuals and their families, and the public.
- To advance the health of communities through collaborative public health approaches to health promotion and disease prevention and intervention.
Public Health Competencies
The Public Health competencies incorporated into our core Master of Public Health & Doctor of Public Health curricula are those of the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH) competencies detailed on their website: http://www.asph.org/document.cfm?page=1083
Additional competencies have been developed for each Master of Public Health & Doctor of Public Health discipline and integrated into the Master of Public Health & Doctor of Public Health curricula:
Click here for a detailed listing of the competencies.