Full Time Faculty
Michael A. Joseph, PhD, MPH
Assistant Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Tel: (718) 270-1061 • Fax: (718) 221-5154
- PhD: University of Michigan School of Public Health
- MPH: Yale University School of Public Health
Background and Expertise:
Dr. Joseph is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics in the School of Public Health at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. Dr. Joseph graduated from Brooklyn College (BS, Health Sciences), Yale University School of Public Health (MPH, Chronic Disease Epidemiology) and the University of Michigan School of Public Health (PhD, Epidemiologic Science). He completed postdoctoral training in Cancer Epidemiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in NY. He has previously served as Adjunct Assistant Medical Professor in the Community Health and Social Medicine Department, where he taught Fundamentals of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education (City College of New York). He also previously served as Visiting Lecturer in the Department of Community Medicine, University of Zimbabwe Medical School (Harare, Zimbabwe) where he taught biostatistics and epidemiology. He is also a founding member of the Black Young Professionals' Public Health Network, Inc., an organization that aims to foster educational and networking opportunities for students of color in the field of public health.
Dr. Joseph is presently Junior Principal Investigator of a CDC-funded grant, HIV/AIDS Risk Reduction Interventions for African American Heterosexual Men (Dr. Tracey Wilson, PI). This project seeks to utilize barbershops as a behavioral setting to develop an HIV prevention intervention program targeting high-risk sexual behaviors among heterosexually-active men of African descent.
Dr. Joseph's interests include HIV/AIDS in the black community, cancer and social epidemiology, and international public health capacity development.
- PUBH 5101: Mastering Math
- EPID 5200: Principles of Epidemiology
- EPID 5204: Statistical Computing Applications in Epidemiology
Selected Recent Publications
- Joseph MA, Wei JT, Harlow SD, Cooney KA, Dunn RL, Jaffe CA, Montie JE, Schottenfeld D. Relationship of Serum Sex-Steroid Hormones and Prostate Volume in African American Men. Prostate 2002; 53: 322-329.
- Joseph MA, Harlow SD, Taylor JMG, James SA, Montie JE, Schottenfeld D. Risk Factors for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in a Population-Based Sample of African-American Men. Am J Epidemiol 2003; 157: 906-914.
- Joseph MA, Moysich KB, Freudenheim JL, Shields PG, Bowman ED, Zhang Y, Marshall JR, Ambrosone CB. Cruciferous Vegetables, Genetic Polymorphisms in Glutathione S-Transferases M1 and T1, and Prostate Cancer Risk. Nutr and Cancer 2004; 50(2):206-213.