SUNY Downstate Medical Center
SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Department of Health Policy and Management (HPMG)
Health Policy requires the ability to assess, collaborate, plan, innovate, and advocate for improvement in the public health and healthcare systems. Health Management requires the ability to lead a public health organization or healthcare system ethically with financial, operational, and scientific expertise.
Our mission is to prepare leaders who will understand, guide, and improve our public health and healthcare systems.
Our particular focus is on the myriad issues that affect the health and well-being of Brooklyn's diverse urban and immigrant individuals and communities.
We offer an MPH degree in Health Policy and Management
Our faculty members and students actively participate in the study and improvement of the public health and healthcare systems through work with institutions, community organizations, and public advocacy. Some examples follow.
- Dr. Benker: Member of the Board of Directors of the Brownsville Multi-Service Family Health Center and co-principal investigator of a NIH grant to promote screening of colorectal cancer in African-Americans.
- Dr. Ehlke: Co-editor, Health Politics and Policy textbook, Faculty Advisor, SPH Student Council, research on British and American health policy.
- Dr. LaRosa: Committee Chair of the Brooklyn Health Reports, member of the Board of Directors of the Bedford Stuyvesant Family Health Center, and co-author of the textbook: New Dimensions in Women’s Health.
Student Project Examples
- Collection and analysis of data to help prevent hospital readmissions for congestive heart failure
- Engagement of Chinese-American cancer survivors with the services of the American Cancer Society
- Analysis of factors in organization and quality of obstetrical care in Egypt
- Analysis of factors for successful recruitment of underrepresented minorities into health professions
- Survey of high school-medical education ‘pathways’ for the underprivileged
- Examination of developments in food safety policy
- Assessment of oral health care in older adults with dementia
- Study of obesity trends in America
Karen Benker, MD, MPH
Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Health Policy and Management