SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Shah HE, Galanter CA, Zito J. AACAP Toolbox for Clinical Practice and Outcomes: A Resource for Practicing Clinicians and Trainees. AACAP News, September/October 2013: 242-243.
- Trentacosta C, Galanter CA, The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Suicide Risk Assessment and Management, Second Edition: A Comprehensive Review, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, accepted for publication
- Fritsch SL and Galanter CA, Facts for Families: It's Not Just Paper Anymore! AACAP News, March/April 2013: 86-87
- Galanter CA. Limited Support for the Efficacy of Nonpharmacological Treatments for the Core Symptoms of ADHD. American Journal of Psychiatry 2013; 170: 241-244
- Nikolov RA, Adebisi A, Paradiso L, Lean and inpatient psychiatry, Lean Behavioral Health: The Kings County Hospital story, eds. Merlino JP, Omi J, Bowen J, Oxford University Press, in press, New York, NY
- Pham V, Ivanov I, Galanter CA, The New York Council on Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Next Generation. AACAP News, September/October 2013: 244
- Tsiouris JA, Kim SY, Brown WT, Pettinger J, Cohen IL, Prevalence of psychotropic drug use in adults with intellectual disability: positive and negative findings from a large scale study. J Autism Dev Disord. 2013; 43(3):719-31
2013 Posters and Abstracts
Trainee Posters and Abstracts:
- Menard T, Galanter CA, Jensen PS, Youngstrom EA, Duffy A, Leffler J, Post R, Wall C, Seymour LR, Wagner KD, Carlson GA. Strategies for Improved Classification of PediatricBipolar Biobank Participants, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Meeting, October 2013
- Sharma V, Galanter CA, Jensen PS, Fornari V, Freemont W, Scharf MA, Cogswell A, Foley C, Hargrave TM, Wallace JM, Smith BA, Bhatia I, Kaye DL. Pediatricians and Primary CarePhysician's Knowledge, Comfort and Practices about Children's Mental Health Before and After a Theory Based Training
Faculty Posters and Abstracts:
- Elmaadawi AZ, Jensen PS, Abikoff HB, Hechtman L, Greenhill LL, Galanter CA, Does Child Behavior Checklist Juvenile Bipolar Profile Predict Bipolar Diagnoses and Symptoms in Children with ADHD? A 14-Year Longitudinal Follow-Up, AACAP Annual Meeting 2013, Orlando Florida
- Elmaadawi AZ, Jensen PS, Hechtman L, Arnold EL, Abikoff HB, Hinshaw SP, Newcorn JH, Greenhill LL, Galanter CA, Risk for Emerging Bipolar Disorder, Bipolar Variants, and Symptoms in Children with ADHD, Now Grown Up, AACAP Annual Meeting 2013, Orlando Florida
- Kaye DL, Fornari V, Scharf MA, Fremont W, Zuckerbrot R, Foley C, Hargrave TM, Smith BA, Wallace JM, Galanter CA, Cogswell A, Bhatia I, Jensen PS, The Evolution of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Primary Care: New York's State-University Collaborative Consultation
- Forbes K, Trentacosta C, Nwankwo V, Denham S, Identification of Childhood Trauma in an Urban Child and Adolescent Psychiatric In-patient Population: Findings from Prospective Study, Kings County Hospital Behavioral Health Quality Assurance Fair, June 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- Sebastian S, Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Genomics Program, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, May 29, 2013
- Shah HE, AACAP's Toolbox for Clinical Practice and Outcomes: A Trainee's Perspective, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, May 29, 2013
- Shah HE and Galanter CA: AACAP's Toolbox for Clinical Practice and Outcomes and Patient-Centered Monitoring Tools for Improving Medication Adherence in Pediatric ADHD (PCAM), Kings County Hospital Behavioral Health Quality Assurance Fair, June 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- Shah HE, Dell ML, Pumariega AJ, Galanter, CA. Two Muslim Adolescents: The Impact of Culture and Religion in Diagnosis and Clinical Process. AACAP Annual Meeting, October 2013, Orlando, Florida
- Charles-Belzie, M, Psychiatric Emergencies and Rapid Response, Annual Convention of the Haitian American Physicians Abroad, July 2013, St. Marteen
- Galanter, CA: Evidence Based Assessment, AACAP Annual Review, March 2013, Jersey City, New Jersey
- Galanter CA: Careers in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Medical Student Lunch and Discussion, March 2013, SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, New York
- Galanter, CA: Evidence Based Assessment in Clinical Practice. September 2013, Rockland Children's Center Psychiatric Center, Rockland, New York
- Galanter, CA: DSM-5 and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychiatry Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, October 16, 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- Lockhart McMickens C, Benton T, Galanter CA, Kestenbaum C, Khan C, Kraus L: A Career in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: From a Developmental Perspective, APA Annual Meeting, May 2013, San Francisco, California
- Hamblin J, Religion and Psychiatry at Crossroads, Psychiatry Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, February 20, 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- McCormick K, Developmental delays in infants and preschool children, Brooklyn College, October 1 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- McCormick K, Autism and Resources for Parents, SUNY Downstate, Department of Developmental Pediatrics, June 19 2013, Brooklyn, New York
- Engel, L, Abulu, J, Nikolov, R. Psychopharmacological treatment of Youths in Juvenile Justice Settings. Textbook of Forensic Psychology, edited by Dr. Grigorenko, Springer Publications, 2012.
- Bobb, V. Weinberg, M, Gabel, S, Kranzler, H, Olfson, M. Use of Clozapine in a State Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Hospital. Psychiatric Quarterly, 2012, Vol. 83 (4).
- Galanter, CA, Hundt, SR, Goyal, P, Le, J, Fischer, PW. Variability among research diagnostic interview instruments in the application of DSM-IV-TR criteria for pediatric bipolar disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 2012; 51(6): 605-621.
- McDougle CJ, Aman, MG, Johnson, C, Handen, B, Bearss, K, Dziura, J, Buter, E, Swiezy, NG, Arnold, LE, Stigler, KA, Sukhodolsky, DD, Lecavalier, L, Pozdol, SL, Nikolov, R, Hollway, JA, Korzekwa, P, Gavaletz, A, Kohm, AE, Koenig, K, Grinnon, S, Mulick, JA, Yu, S, and Vitiello, B. Effects of Risperidone and Parent Training on Adaptive Functioning in Children with Pervasive Developmental Disorders and Serious Behavioral Problems. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol 51, No 2, February 2012.
2012 Posters and Abstracts
- Abdel-Wahab NH, Rahman H, Galanter CA, O'Keefe P, Nikolov R. The Performance Improvement (PI) Project for Reducing the Number of Restraints Used on the Adolescent Boys Inpatient Psychiatry Unit at Kings County Hospital Center. AACAP Annual Meeting, October 2012.
- Lenore Engel, MD with her co-authors: Jatinder M. Chawla, Aarti Gupta, Clinical Trials on Pediatric Insomnia: Latest Trends, AACAP Annual Meeting, 2012.
- Kaye D, Smith B, Fornari V, Scharf MA, Fremont W, Zuckerbrot RA, Foley C, Hargrave TM, Wallace JM, Galanter CA, Cogswell A, Bhatia I, Jensen PS. CAP PC: New York's University-State Collaborative Consultation Program for Primary Care. AACAP Annual Meeting, October 2012.
- Hargrave TM, Fremont W, Aspenleiter J, Kaye D, Foley C, Fornari V, Galanter CA, Scharf MA, Smith B, Wallace JM, Zuckerbrot RA, Jensen PS, Blakeslee G, Gogswell A. Advances in Primary Care Assessment and Management of Pediatric Mental Health Problems in Central New York. AACAP Annual Meeting, October 2012.
- Shama Saqi, MD, Pediatric Depression in Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Cause or Consequence?, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, May 30, 2012.
- Jonathan Weiss, MD, School Psychiatry: The Basics, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, May 30, 2012.
- Benjamin Wowo, MD, Development of Internal Guidelines for the Treatment of Substance Related Psychosis, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, May 30, 2012.
- Nancy Abdel-Wahab, MD, Paul O'Keefe, DO and Habib Rahman, MD, The Reduction of High Risk Behaviors on an Adolescent Inpatient Unit, M&M Conference, Kings County Hospital, Grand Rounds at Woodhull Hospital, Nov. 2012.
- Vanessa Bobb, MD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, NAMI Harlem, New York, NY, 2012.
- Vanessa Bobb, MD, African-American Mental Health Disparities, Association of Haitian Physicians Abroad, Brooklyn, NY, 2012.
- Vanessa Bobb, MD, Health and Wellness. D.R.C. International Cathedral, Ridge, NY, 2012.
- Lenore Engel, MD, Ramaswamy Viswanathan, MD, Michael Myers, MD and Suprit Parida, MD, Resident's Duty Hours Reform: Issues and Controversies, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, Feb. 2012.
- Lenore Engel, MD, Ramaswamy Viswanathan, MD, Kenneth M. Cerpa, MD, Ellen Berkowitz, MD and Suprit Parida, MD, Resident's Duty Hours Reform: Issues and Controversies, the Institute for Psychiatric Services, Oct. 2012.
- Cathryn A. Galanter, MD, Child Psychiatrist's Diagnostic Decision Making, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, Nov. 7, 2012.
- Norma Green, MD, Junior instructor for a course titled "Neurobiology and Psychoanalysis: Mind and Body.
- Joan Hittelman, PhD, Education Stressors, Family Dynamics and Psychosocial Issues, HealthFirst.
- Joseph P Merlino, MD, Roumen Nikolov, MD, Rachel Steiner LCSW, Matthew Costanzo, Jonathan P. Edwards, MSW, Miriam Azuance, Ed.D, First Look: Exploring Peer Counselor Effectiveness in an Inpatient Psychiatric Setting, Program for the Institute on Psychiatric Services, New York, New York October 2012.
- Preiser, M. (2011) Preface in Hoffman, S., Two Are Better Than One: Case Studies of Brief, Effective Therapy, New York: Golden Sky/Mondial.
- Tsiouris, J.A., Kim, S.Y., Brown, W.T., Cohen, I.L. (2011) Association of aggressive behaviors with Psychiatric disorders, age, sex and degree of intellectual disability: A large scale survey. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 2011. Jul;55(7):636-49.
- John Abulu, MD, Temper Dysregulation Disorder with Dysphoria, Psychiatry Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, June 29, 2011.
- Kah Hong Goh, MD, A Cultural Perspective: Chinese Population, Psychiatry Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, June 22, 2011.
- Shama Saqi, MD, Jonathan Weiss, MD, Michael Myers, MD, More Than Sad on depression in teenagers, Psychiatry Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, Wingate Campus of Brooklyn High School for Human Rights, May 18, 2011.
- Lenore Engel, MD, Duty Hours and Impact of Sleep Deprivation, Grand Rounds, SUNY Downstate, March 2011.
- Cathryn Galanter, MD, Pediatric Bipolar Disorder, Child Psychopathology Course, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training Program, Columbia University, 2011.
- Cathryn Galanter, MD, Safe and Effective Use of Psychiatric Medication in Children and Adolescents: a Mini-Fellowship for Primary Care Clinicians, 2011.
- Cathryn Galanter, MD, Bipolar Disorder and Diagnostic Decision Making, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Grand Rounds, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, Queens, New York, April 7, 2011.
- Jeffrey Hamblin, MD and S. Shah, Internet Addiction of a 13 Year Old Girl, American Psychiatric Association Meeting, Honolulu, Hawaii, May 2011.
- Karen Forbes, PsyD, Changing the Rules of Engagement? The Challenges (and Rewards) of Leading Psychotherapy Groups in a Child Outpatient Setting, Kings County Hospital Center Morbidity and Mortality Conference, July 2011.