SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Psychiatry
Daniel Cukor, PhD
- Select Publications
Dr. Cukor is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He received his Ph.D. in Clinical Health Psychology from Ferkauf Graduate School/Albert Einstein College of Medicine at Yeshiva University (2002). He did a post-doctoral fellowship in cognitive behavioral therapy treatment and research at Downstate Medical Center. He has authored many articles and reviews in the field of behavioral medicine and sought after speaker in the field of psychonephrology.
His current research interests are centered around behavioral medicine and affective disorders, as well as adherence to medical prescriptions. The bulk of his research has focused on the complex relationship between depression and end stage renal disease. He has received grant support for his research from Downstate Medical Center, the American Psychological Association and the National Institutes of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and Mental Health.
- Rosenthal D, Ver Halen N, Cukor D (2012) Depression and Non-adherence Predict Mortality in Hemodialysis Treated ESRD Patients. Hemodialysis International, 16: 387-393.
- Cukor D, Ver Halen N, Rosenthal D, Goldberg M, Slyker J, Kimmel PL (2012) A Pilot Investigation of Cognitive Improvement Across a Single Hemodialysis Treatment. Journal of Nephrology, Jun 7:0. doi: 10.5301/jn.5000148.
- Constantiner, M & Cukor, D. (2011) Barriers to Immunosuppressive Medication Adherence inHigh-Risk Adult Renal Transplant Recipients, Dialysis and Transplantation, 40: 60-66.
- Cukor D, Rosenthal D, Jindal R, Brown C & Kimmel PL. Medication Adherence and Depression in ESRD samples treated with transplantation and hemodialysis. (2009) Kidney International, 75: 1223-1229.
- R. Jindal, R. Neff, K. Abbott, F. Hurst, E. Elster, E. Falta, P. Patel, & D. Cukor. (2009) Association Between Depression and Nonadherence in Recipients of Kidney Transplants: Analysis of the United States Renal Data System. Transplantation Proceedings, Volume 41, Issue 9, Pages 3662-3666.
- Cukor, D., Coplan, J., Brown, C., Peterson, RA. Kimmel, PL. (2008) Course of Depression and Anxiety Diagnosis in Patients Treated with Hemodialysis: A 16 Month Follow-up. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 3: 1752-1758.
- Cukor, D., Coplan, J., Brown, C., Friedman, S., Newville, H., Safier, M., Spielman, L., Peterson, RA. Kimmel, PL. (2008) Anxiety Disorders in Adults Treated by Hemodialysis: A Single Center Study. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 52(1): 128-136.
- Cukor, D., Coplan, J., Brown, C., Friedman, S., Cromwell Smith, A., Peterson, RA. Kimmel, PL. (2007) Depression and Anxiety in Urban Hemodialysis Patients. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 2:484-490.
- Cukor D, Rosenthal D, & Kimmel PL"Depression and Cognitive Dysfunction." Chronic Kidney Disease, Dialysis, and Transplantation: Companion to Brenner and Rector's The Kidney," edited by Drs. Jonathan Himmelfarb and Mohamed Sayegh, 2010.
- Cukor D, Rosenthal D, Cohen L, Levenson, J & Kimmel PL. "Renal disease" Texbook of Psychosomatic Medicine edited by Dr. James Levenson, 2010.
- Cukor D, Farrell, E & Kimmel PL "Psychological considerations of patients with advanced kidney disease" in Supportive Care for the Renal Patient edited by Drs. Chambers, Germain and Brown, 2010.
- Paradis, C., Cukor, D., Friedman, S. (2006) "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with Orthodox Jews" chapter in Hays, P. & Iwamasa, G. (eds.) Culturally Responsive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. American Psychological Association, Washington.