SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Psychiatry
Thomas Brouette, MD
Director, Undergraduate Medical Education
Tel: (718) 270-4627
- Select Publications
Dr. Brouette is the director of medical student education for the department. He serves on several committees within the University that administer the curriculum and student life. He has received several awards from the students including teacher of the year and the Arnold Gold Foundation Award for Humanism.
Dr. Brouette received his bachelor's degree at the University of California, Davis in 1988 and his masters of science in biochemistry in 1989 from the University of California, Riverside. After receiving his medical degree from Bowman Gray School of Medicine of Wake Forest University in 1994 he proceeded into a family practice residency at Stanislaus Medical Center (University of California, Davis) before entering his psychiatric residency at Yale-New Haven Hospital from which he graduated in 1998.His research interests at that time where panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. He completed an Addiction Psychiatry fellowship at the Medical College of South Carolina, Charleston, and during this time served on the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry PGY V committee which developed the suggested curriculum for Addiction Psychiatry fellowships. His main contribution was in the area of inhalants abuse.
After fellowship he spent the next two years in a private, group practice in Lancaster PA prior to becoming the Director of Addiction Services at Belmont Center in Philadelphia, PA (Jefferson Medical College). In 2003 he was awarded the Caron Foundation Addiction Physician of the Year in Philadelphia.
In 2004 Dr. Brouette joined the faculty of the State University of New York, Downstate (Brooklyn) and in 2005 he entered his current position as the Director of Medical Student Education, Psychiatry at the State University of New York Health Science Center of Brooklyn (SUNY Downstate).
- Medical Students Learning and Conceptualization of Melancholic Depression: A Multicenter Study
- Cannabis Use and Psychosis in a Caribbean Population
- Plagiarism in Medical School
- Brouette, TE .Experiences with an Honors Paper as Part of the Psychiatry Clerkship. Medical Teacher. April 2012; 34(4):339.
- Brouette, TE. Book review: Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition. American Journal on Addictions. July/August 2011. 20 (4): 394-395.
- Brouette, TE, Anton, R. Clinical Review of Inhalants. American Journal on Addictions. Winter 2001; 10(1): 79-94
- Goddard A W, Brouette T, Almai A, Jetty P, Woods SW, Chamey D. Early Coadministration of Clonazepam with Sertraline for Panic Disorder. Archives of General Psychiatry July 2001; 58(7): 681-686.
- Brouette, TE, Goddard AW. The Etiology of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Textbook of Anxiety Disorders. Edited by Dan Stein, MD, Ph.D., Eric Hollander, M.D. American Psychiatric Press, Washington D.C. 2002.
Medical School: Wake Forest
Residency: Yale, New Haven
Fellowship: Medical College of South Carolina, Charleston