SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Otolaryngology
Research Report: Ongoing Research Projects
In the year 2016-2017, Drs. Kollmar, Sundaram, Silverman and Stewart continued their work supported by an R21 from the NIDCD studying the restoration of recurrent laryngeal nerve function after injury in a rat model. The team has also collaborated with Dr. Stewart, Dr. Arjomandi and Dr. Kaplowitz to study laryngospasm and post-obstructive pulmonary edema as the causes of sudden death in seizures, also in the rat model. Their work was published in the journals Epilepsy Research, Epilepsia and Neurobiology of Disease. Dr. Chernichenko continues work on her New York State ECRIP Fellowship Award studying the role of Rho GTPases in perineural invasion in a zebrafish model and Dr. Kollmar is continuing his work studying the molecular genetics of otolith formation in the zebrafish.
Dr. Rosenfeld continued his work with the AAO-HNS, developing clinical practice guidelines on otitis media with effusion and evaluation of neck masses in adults along with a clinical consensus statement on balloon sinuplasty, and developing quality measures for the society. Drs. Goldstein and Rosenfeld are the lead investigators for a multi-institutional study validating the Clinical Assessment Score-15 (CAS-15) for pediatric sleep-disordered breathing. Drs. Butts and Alessi are studying the incidence of concussions in facial trauma patients. Dr. Shulman is working with Department of Pharmacology studying the neuroprotective effects of the novel protease inhibitor gabadur against traumatic brain injury. Drs. Abramowitz and Floyd presented their research at the 12th Metropolitan NY Resident Research Day Symposium.
Drs. Sundaram and Goldstein were guest editors of a special issue of the International Journal of Head and Neck Surgery honoring Dr. Lucente. Drs. Har-El, Sperling, Boruk, Bentsianov, Mor, Alessi, Kohli, Ferzli, Ho and Kaplowitz all contributed articles to this issue. Notable publications include Dr. Butts’ Perceptual Assessment of Velopharyngeal Dysfunction by Otolaryngology Residents published in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Dr. Floyd’s, Dr. Ho’s, Dr. Patel’s , Dr. Rosenfeld’s and Dr. Gordin’s Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Studies Evaluating Functional Rhinoplasty Outcomes with the NOSE Score published in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Dr. Kohli’s, Dr. Goldstein’s and Dr. Silverman’s Asthma Outcomes after Adenotonsillectomy: A Systematic Review published in the International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology and Dr. Rosenfeld’s Stakeholder-driven Quality Improvement: A Compelling Force for Clinical Practice Guidelines published in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.
Richard M. Rosenfeld, MD, MPH
- Quality improvement in otitis media with effusion
- AAO-HNS clinical practice guideline on otitis media with effusion
- AAO-HNS clinical practice guideline on evaluation of neck masses in adults
- AAO-HNS clinical consensus statement on balloon sinuplasty
- AAO-HNS quality measures development program
- Multiple ongoing projects assisting otolaryngology residents with research design, systematic review, and data analysis
Marina Boruk, MD
- The Role of Corticosteroids in the Treatment of Orbital Complications of Acute Rhinosinusitis: A Systematic Review.
- FAMRI supported protocol: Targeting eosinophils for the treatment of sinusitis.
- FAMRI supported protocol: The Impact of CXCL11 on Chronic Rhinosinusitis in Smokers.
- NIH grant supported study: Transcriptome sequencing of neuronal cell lines from patients with schizophrenia.
Sydney Butts, MD
- Postoperative Analgesia Strategies for Mandibular Fracture Patients: A Survey of Facial Trauma Surgeons
- Epidemiological Factors Associated with Orofacial Clefting in New York City.
- The Incidence of Concussions in Facial Trauma Patients: a Prospective Study
Natalya Chernichenkor, MD
- Xenotransplantation in Zebrafish to Study Proliferation and Perineural Migration of Human Cancers.
- Analysis of perioperative complications of parathyroid surgery.
Nira Goldstein, MD
- The impact of adenotonsillectomy on pediatric asthma
- Multi-Institutional Validation of the Clinical Assessment Score-15 (CAS-15) for Pediatric Sleep-Disordered Breathing
- Analysis of outcomes and complications from button batteries as foreign bodies in the ear, nose or throat
- Third branchial cleft cyst with mycobacterium infection
- The role of corticosteroids in pediatric acute sinusitis with orbital complications
- Treatment of Laryngotracheal Stenosis
- Spontaneous Hematoma Caused by Arteriovenous Malformation of the Hyoid
Richard Kollmar, PhD
- Regeneration of the Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve in the Rat after Injury (PI)
- Larygospasm during seizures (Co-PI; PI is Dr. Stewart)
- Molecular Genetics of Otolith Formation in the Zebrafish (PI)
Stefan Mlot MD
- Socioeconomic disparities in oral cavity cancer treatment and survival: a population-based analysis
- American Medical Association PAC contributions and voting activity of federal legislators
- Association between Afro-Caribbean ancestry and rates of post-operative thromboembolic events
Abraham Shulman, MD
- Neuroprotective Effects of the Novel Protease Inhibitor Gabadur Against Traumatic Brain Injury
- EEG based brain function imaging and tinnitus
- The role of Novel Calpain Inhibitors in Transgenic Animal Model of Parkinson’s Disease
Michael Weiss, MD
- Simultaneous Unilateral Anterior Thoracoscopy with Transcervical Thyroidectomy for the Resection of Large Mediastinal Thyroid Goiter