SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Curriculum / Core Competencies
The curriculum contains the following educational components:
- Overall educational goals for the program, which the program must distribute to residents and faculty annually.
- Competency-based goals and objectives for each assignment at each educational level, which the program must distribute to residents and faculty annually, in either written or electronic form. These should be reviewed by the resident at the start of each rotation.
- Regularly scheduled didactic sessions.
- Delineation of resident responsibilities for patient care, progressive responsibility for patient management, and supervision of residents over the continuum of the program.
We integrate the following ACGME competencies into the curriculum:
- Patient Care
Residents must be able to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health.
- Medical Knowledge
Residents must demonstrate knowledge of established and evolving biomedical, clinical, epidemiological and social and behavioral sciences, as well as the application of this knowledge to patient care.
- Practice-based Learning and Improvement
Residents must demonstrate the ability to investigate and evaluate their care of patients, to appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and to continuously improve patient care based on constant self-evaluation and life-long learning.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills
Residents must demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills that result in the effective exchange of information and collaboration with patients, their families, and health professionals.
Residents must demonstrate a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities and an adherence to ethical principles.
- Systems-based Practice
Residents must demonstrate an awareness of and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care, as well as the ability to call effectively on other resources in the system to provide optimal health care.