Roman Shinder, MD
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology, Director Oculoplastics Kings County Hospital
Department of Ophthalmology
Background and Expertise
Ophthalmic Plastic and reconstructive surgery, ocular adnexal and orbital oncology.
Dr. Shinder works with residents primarily at Kings County Hospital and sees patients for the faculty practice at Downstate's Midwood Eye Center and the Long Island College Hospital. An author of 5 book chapters and over 10 peer reviewed publications, Dr. Shinder is looking for innovative ways to diagnose and treat complicated oculoplastic cases.
- Ocular adnexal and orbital oncology
- Pediatric oculoplastics
- Complex reconstruction following excision of ocular adnexal or orbital tumors
- New surgical techniques
Undergraduate: Cornell University, Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude, 8/96-5/00
Medical School: SUNY Upstate Medical University, MD, Cum Laude & AOA, 8/00-5/04.
– New York Hospital of Queens, Transitional Year Program, 7/04-7/05.
– University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Ophthalmology residency, 7/05-7/08.
Fellowship: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery fellowship 7/08-7/10
- Peterson ES, Shinder R, Khan I, et al. Domain-specific effector interactions within the central cavity of human adult hemoglobin in solution and in porous sol-gel matrices: evidence for long-range communication pathways. Biochemistry. 2004 Apr 27;43(16):4832-43.
- Shinder R, Frohman LP, Turbin RE. Regression of Bilateral Optic Disc Edema After Discontinuation of Amiodarone. J Neuro-Ophthalmol. 2006 Sep;26(3):192-4.
- Shinder R, Mirani N, Wu H, et al. Extramedullary Hematopoiesis in the Lacrimal Gland. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008 Jan/Feb;24(1):48-50.
- Shinder R, Wolansky L, Turbin RE. Congenital Homonymous Hemianopia and Cortical Migration Abnormalities in a Young Adult. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2009 Jan-Feb;46(1):38-41.
- Shinder R, Langer PD. Unilateral Congenital Eyelid Eversion Causing Marked Chemosis in a Newborn. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2010 Jan;1:1-2.
- Giliberti FM, Shinder R, Bell D, et al. Malignant Mixed Tumor of the Lacrimal Gland in a Teenager. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2010 Feb;26:1-3.