Douglas R. Lazzaro, MD, FACS, FAAO
Professor and Chairman
Department of Ophthalmology
The Richard C. Troutman, M.D. Distinguished Chair in Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Microsurgery
Tel: (718) 245-5460 • Fax: (718) 245-5332
Background and Expertise
Dr. Lazzaro, the Richard C. Troutman M.D. Distinguished Chair in Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Microsurgery, serves as Professor and Chairman of the Department of Ophthalmology at SUNY Downstate. Dr. Lazzaro received his MD degree and his residency training in ophthalmology at SUNY Downstate and then completed a cornea and refractive surgery fellowship at the Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital and Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Lazzaro is responsible for oversight of all aspects of the department including faculty practice, resident education, and research. The department is one of the busiest and largest residency training programs in the United States where 23 residents combine with the faculty to see about 150,000 patients annually. Our research staff is supported by federal grants from the National Eye Institute and from private foundations including the Foundation Fighting Blindness, Research to Prevent Blindness, and the E. Matilda Ziegler Foundation.
Dr. Lazzaro serves as director of Continuing Medical Education for the department of Ophthalmology, and has been course director for many regional and international symposia. He also serves as Director of Ophthalmology at University Hospital of Brooklyn, and Kings County Hospital Center where 9 of the 23 ophthalmology residents are rotating. Dr. Lazzaro performs corneal transplantation and other complex corneal surgeries in addition to laser refractive surgery (LASIK and PRK). Dr. Lazzaro lectures regularly throughout the United States and has presented posters/presentations at many national and international meetings while publishing many peer-reviewed articles. He is board-certified in ophthalmology and is a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American College of Surgeons. He is also a lifetime member of Swathmore's Who's Who and has been named to Super Doctors by the New York Times on multiple occasions.
Professor Lazzaro's clinical research interests are broadly-based ranging from changes in retinal blood flow that accompany sleep apnea that may presage glaucomatous changes, to medical and surgical treatments of corneal disease. His newly emerging laboratory work is focused on the matrix regulation of corneal development.
Medical School: SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Residency: Ophthalmology Residency at SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Fellowship: Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital
- Pointdujour R, Ahmad H, Liu M, Smith E, Lazzaro D, β-Blockade Affects Simulator Scores, Ophthalmology. 2011 Sep;118(9):1893-1893.e3.
- Bhandari R, Ferri S, Whittaker B, Liu M, Lazzaro DR, Peters anomaly: review of the literature, Cornea. 2011 Aug;30(8):939-44.
- Lazzaro DR, Mostafavi D, Massive Intracorneal Cyst in a Patient With No Ocular Symptoms, Eye Contact Lens. 2011 Sep 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mohammedyusuf E. Hajee, MD; Wayne F. March, MD; Douglas R. Lazzaro, MD; Arthur H. Wolintz, MD; Eric M. Shrier, DO; Sofya Glazman, MD; Ivan G. Bodis-Wollner, MD, DSc, Inner Retinal Layer Thinning in Parkinson Disease, Arch Ophthalmol. 2009;127(6):737-741. Read More…
- Girardin Jean-Louis, Ferdinand Zizi, Monica Dweck, Dexter McKenzie, and Douglas R. Lazzaro, Ophthalmic dysfunction in a community-based sample: influence of race/ethnicity, J Natl Med Assoc. 2007 February; 99(2): 141-4, 147-8. Read More…
- Girardin Jean-Louis, Ferdinand Zizi, Douglas R Lazzaro, and Arthur H Wolintz, Circadian rhythm dysfunction in glaucoma: A hypothesis, J Circadian Rhythms. 2008; 6: 1. Read More…
- Lazzaro, Douglas R. M.D.; Abulawi, Khaled Ph.D.; Hajee, Mohammedyusuf E. M.D., In Vitro Cytotoxic Effects of Benzalkonium Chloride on Adenovirus, Eye & Contact Lens: Science & Clinical Practice, Volume 35(6), November 2009, pp 329-332 Read More …
- Link to article on Computer Vision Syndrome »
- Everyday Health: How Technology Is Hurting Your Eyes
- HHC TODAY - March 2013: His Vision is Saving Eyes
- The Downstate Diagnosis: Do You See What They See?
- eHow.com: How to Get Liquid Eyeliner to Stay on the Inner Eye
- New York Daily News: Silly Shooterz toy shoots Silly Bandz; But is popular holiday toy safe? - New York Daily News
- 39dollarglasses.com Blog: Experts Warn of Vision Risks Associated With Toy
- Helen Keller Services for the Blind: LICH Ophthalmologist Helps To Define Governor's Condition
- Everyday Health: Itchy Eyes: Allergies or Something Else?
- iVillage: Makeup Situation: Lining Inside the Eye
- FoxNews.com: Glenn Beck Announces He Could Lose His Vision
- StemCell Therapy: Burn Victim Eye Sight Restored with Stem Cell Therapy
- Empowered Doctor: Cataracts and Statins
- Erickson Living Tribune: Take a look at the retina