E. Clifford Lazzaro, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology
Department of Ophthalmology
Tel: (718) 245-2163 • Fax: (718) 245-5332
Background and Expertise
Dr. Clifford Lazzaro is a comprehensive ophthalmologist with special interest in the ocular manifestations of systemic disease. His SUNY Downstate teaching activities take place primarily at Kings County Hospital Center, where he lectures on subjects including neuro-ophthalmology, medical ophthalmology, ocular pathology, external diseases, optics and anatomy. Dr. Lazzaro has developed an "Ophthalmology 101" course given each year over 36 weeks to the residents at Kings County.
Dr. Clifford Lazzaro retired as chair of Ophthalmology at Lutheran Medical Center after 20 years. He also retired from the private practice of ophthalmology after 35 years, during which time he served as ophthalmologist to the Vatican Mission to the United Nations. He has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals spanning topics such as phacolytic glaucoma to central retinal vein occlusion in a patient with mucormycosis, to carotid artery evaluations. He is presently working on elucidating the relationship of various positional changes on intraocular pressure.
Dr. Lazzaro is presently working on elucidating the relationship of various positional changes on intraocular pressure, as well as studying the associations of systemic disease with ophthalmic disorders.
Undergraduate: New York University, NY
Medical School: State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center
Residency: Brooklyn Eye & Ear Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
- Lazzaro EC. Central retinal vein occlusion: life and sight implications. Ann Ophthalmol. 1976 Dec;8(12):1427-9.
- Lazzaro EC. Incidence of neurologic disease in a general ophthalmic practice. Ann Ophthalmol. 1980 March; 12(3).
- Lazzaro EC. Retinal-vein occlusions: carotid artery evaluation indicated. Ann Ophthalmol. 1986 Mar;18(3): 116-7.
- Lazzaro DR, Lazzaro EC. Linear IgA dermatosis mimicking ocular cicatricial pemphigoid. CLAO J. 1999 Oct;25(4):197-9.
- Oboh AM, Lazzaro EC, Inker S. Clinicopathologic reports, case reports, and small case series: retinal venous occlusion as the initial sign of tetralogy of Fallot. Arch. Ophthalmol. 2002 Apr;120(4):516-7.
- Ahmad H, Lazzaro EC, Lazzaro DR. Rethinking Migraine and PFO: Are Physicians Aware of this Association? Do Migraine Attacks Induced via Valsalva Maneuver Represent an Ominous Sign for PFO? Medical Society of the State of New York Research Forum. Ryebrook, NY, April 11, 2008.
- Carpenter, Malik, Lazzaro DR, Lazzaro EC, Augenbraun M. Clinical Ophthalmologic Findings and Syphilis Serology Poorly Predict Neurosyphilis. Presentation: 48th Annual ICAAC/IDSA 46th Annual Meeting, Washington DC, Oct 25, 2008.
- Ahmad H, Lazzaro EC, Reich I, Singh M, Lazzaro DR. The effect of positional changes on intraocular pressure: Ramifications for the glaucoma patient. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci 2009 50: E-abstract 2869