Stephen C. Kaufman, MD, PhD
Vice-Chairman and Professor of Ophthalmology
Tel: (718) 270-1961 • Fax: (718) 270-2972
Background and Expertise:
Dr. Stephen C. Kaufman, MD, PhD is The Vice-Chairman, Professor and Director of Cornea and Refractive Surgery at the State University of New York - Downstate. Previously, he was the Lyon Chair for Research in Ophthalmology, Professor and Director of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Fellowship Program in the Department of Ophthalmology, at the University of Minnesota. A patent holder for a diagnostic method using confocal microscopy, Dr. Kaufman's research interests focus on cornea and anterior segment diseases, refractive surgery, cornea transplant and improved graft survival, and corneal stem cell replacement. Dr. Kaufman is a VISX and LASIK instructor, who trains ophthalmologist and residents in refractive surgery. He is the Chairman of the American Academy of Ophthalmology's Knowledge Base Committee for Cornea, sits on the Executive Board of the Cornea Society, serves on the Medical Advisory Board of the Eye Bank Association of America, is Chairman of the Mid-West Cornea Association and serves on other American Academy of Ophthalmology, Eye Bank Association of America and Cornea Society committees. He has lectured internationally and published and presented over 300 papers.
I obtained my Ph.D. after my clinical degree in the field of Anatomy and Cell Biology with specific emphasis on the cornea. Over the last fifteen years, I have been involved in in vivo confocal microcopy and was the primary author of the American Academy of Ophthalmology's white paper on confocal microscopy. I completed work on an NIH National Eye Institute KO8 grant concerning corneal wound healing and graft rejection. Since that time, I have worked on both clinical and basic science research projects. I currently have projects involving limbal stem cell expansion, cryopreservation and cornea wound healing. I have also continued clinical research involving tissue adhesives, the pharmacologic treatment of presbyopia, keratoconus and collagen cross linking.
- Medical School: Louisiana State University Medical School – New Orleans, La
- Residency: Henry Ford Health System – Detroit, MI
- Fellowship: LSU Eye Center – New Orleans
- Certification: American Board or Ophthalmology
- Lee WB, Jacobs DS, Musch DC, Kaufman SC, Reinhart WJ, Shtein RM. Descemet's stripping endothelial keratoplasty: safety and outcomes: a report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2009 Sep;116(9):1818-30.
- Arthur SN, Wright MM, Kramarevsky N, Kaufman SC, Grajewski AL. Uveitis-Glaucoma-Hyphema Syndrome and Corneal Decompensation in Association With Cosmetic Iris Implants. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009 Nov; 148(5):790-3.
- Kaufman SC, Dhaliwal JS., Chiou AGY. Chapter 8, Corneal Endothelial Transplant, John T. (ed). Jaypee Medical Publishers, New Dehli, India, 2009
- Kaufman SC. Chapter 36, Curbside Consultaion in Cornea and External Disease, Price F. (ed). Slack Inc, Thorofare, NJ, USA, 2010
- Kaufman SC, Fung M, Raja D, Kramarevsky. Imaging of the Cornea (Chapter), Encyclopedia of the Eye. Dartt DA, Besharse JC, Dana R. (ed.s) Elsevier, Ltd. London, England, 2010, Vol. 2, pp 263-269.
- Kaufman SC, Fung M, Raja D, Kramarevsky. Imaging of the Anterior Segment, Oculoperiphery Disorders. Dartt DA, Besharse JC, Dana R. (ed.s) Elsevier, Ltd. London, England, 2011, pp 213-219.
- William J. Reinhart, MD, David C. Musch, PhD, MPH, Deborah S. Jacobs, MD, W. Barry Lee, MD, Stephen C. Kaufman, MD, PhD, Roni M. Shtein, MD. Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty as an Alternative to Penetrating Keratoplasty: A Report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2011, Jan; 118: 1, pp 209-218.
- Kaufman SC, Almond C, Dastrup BT, 5-FU and Mitomycin-C: Adjuncts to Pterygium Surgery (Ch 5): Pterygium, Hovanesian JA (ed). Slack Inc. Thorofare, NJ. 2012
- Kaufman SC, Jacobs DS, Lee WB, Deng SX, Rosenblatt MI, Shtein RM. Options and Adjuvants in Surgery for Pterygium: A Report by the American Academy of Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2013 Jan;120(1):201-8.
- Ewel J, Yuan C, Nelson EF, Kaufman SC. Corneal Limbal Stem Cell Cryopreservation . J Ocular Biol. 2013;1(1): 5.
- Conway AB, Kaufman SC, Rudrapatna VK, Linden MA. Crystallizing Immunoglobulin Presenting as Polychromatic Crystallin Keratopathy: An Unusual Clinical Presentation of Monoclonal Gammopathy of Undetermined Significance (MGUS). Lab Medicine. 2013 Fall; 44(4): 344-48.
- Jillian Ewel, Ching Yuan, Elizabeth F. Nelson, and Stephen C. Kaufman. Corneal Limbal Stem Cell Cryopreservation. J Ocular Biol. 2013;1(1): 2-5.
- Stephen C. Kaufman, MD, PhD; Kunal Suri, MD, Megan Twite, ChingYuan, PhD. Recent Advance in the Cryopreservation of Corneal Limbal Stem Cells. International J Eye Banking. 2014; 1(2): 1-7