George F. Hyman, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor, SUNY Downstate Department Ophthalmology
Chairman Dept Ophthalmology, Brookdale Hospital Medical Center
Tel: (718) 252-1200 • Fax: (718) 338-6303
Background and Expertise
Dr. Hyman, an alumnus of the Downstate Ophthalmology Residency program, did an anterior segment surgery fellowship[ corneal transplant, glaucoma, cataract]. He has been the chairman of Ophthalmology at Brookdale Hospital Medical Center for seventeen years. He has been actively teaching surgery to the residents for thirty years. His sub-specialty is refractive surgery including Lasik, PRK, astigmatism correction, and multifocal intra-ocular lenses. Dr. Hyman is on the Board of Directors of the New York State Ophthalmologic Society and is in charge of the Core Curriculum program for the residency.
- New Instrumentation Combining Goldman Tonometry and Ultrasound Pachymetry
- Corneal thickness as it relates to glaucoma
- Instrumentation for proper marking of cornea for astigmatism surgery
- Abbas, A.,Hyman G.F.: Sterilization of the Ocular Surface On and Three hours After Clear Corneal Phacoemulsification Surgery In Patients Using Fourth Generation Fluorquinolones. Invest Ophthalmology Visual Science. 2005 46: E-Abstract Scientific Poster, presented at ARVO meeting May 01-05, 2005.
- Abbas,A.,Hyman, G.F.: Thalidomide Prevents Corneal Angiogenesis in an Alkali Burn Model of Rabbit Neovascularization, Journal of Pakistan Medical Assoc. 2003:53(5):183-186.
- Hyman,G.F.,Akhtar,S.,Greenidge, K, New Methods of Measuring Intraocular Pressure:Corneal Thickness: Cause or Effect. Course; Annual Meeting of the Academy of Ophthalmology Chiago Illinois, Oct. 2005
- Anesthesia in Ophthalmology, Essentials of Anesthesia, Brookdale Hospital Medical Center Published Oct. 2008
Undergraduate: BS Union College Schenectady NY
Medical School: MD University of Maryland Baltimore Maryland
Residency: Ophthalmology – SUNY Downstate
Fellowship: Anterior Segment Surgery – University of Wittswatersrand Johannesburg S.A.