Valerie I. Elmalem, MD
Department of Ophthalmology
Background and Expertise
Neuro-ophthalmology, Orbital, Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Dr. Elmalem, a native New Yorker, is a board-certified ophthalmologist. She completed ophthalmology residency training at one of the top ten programs in the country and is fellowship trained in both Neuro-ophthalmology and Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery. She specializes in diagnosis and management of optic nerve and brain disorders affecting vision, and management of a wide range of eyelid and orbital conditions in adults and children. She has a special interest in surgical education of ophthalmology residents.
- Optic nerve disorders
- Ocular motor cranial nerve dysfunction
- Orbital inflammatory conditions, including Graves orbitopathy
- Orbital tumors
- Orbital fractures
Undergraduate: Bachelor of Science, SUNY Stony Brook, Magna Cum Laude
Medical School: SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
Internship: Emory University School of Medicine Transitional Year Program
Residency: Emory University School of Medicine Ophthalmology Residency
– Neuro-ophthalmology Fellowship: Emory University School of Medicine
– Orbital and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Fellowship: Medical College of Wisconsin
- Elmalem VI, Harris GJ. Occurrence and surgical management of a cerebrospinal fluid-filled cystoid space following routine enucleation. Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. In press.
- Elmalem VI, Hudgins PA, Bruce BB, Newman NJ, Biousse V. Underdiagnosis of posterior communicating artery aneurysm in noninvasive brain vascular studies. J Neuro-ophthalmol 2010 Dec 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Elmalem VI, Biousse V, Newman NJ. Transient Mydriasis with Cholinergic Supersensitivity: Is it related to Adie Tonic Pupil? Neuro-ophthalmology 2010; 34(2): 96-9.
- Elmalem VI, Younge BR, Biousse V, Leavitt JA, Moster ML, Warner J, Kupersmith MJ, Landau K, Brodsky MC, Frohman LP, May EF, Tomsak RL, Newman NJ. Clinical course and prognosis of trochlear nerve schwannomas. Ophthalmology 2009; 116:2011-6.