SUNY Downstate Medical Center
College of Nursing
Learning Today, Leading Tomorrow
Educating the Next Diverse Leaders in Healthcare
The mission of the College of Nursing is to foster an environment of excellence in the education of professional nurses. Graduates of the program are prepared as leaders who are empowered to influence health policy and provide culturally competent care to a diverse urban population. Faculty and students contribute to nursing knowledge through advancements in clinical practice, scholarly endeavors and research.
The vision of the College of Nursing is to become a nationally recognized College of Nursing that is known for leadership in nursing education and contributes to the advancement of the nursing profession.
- Provide quality education to students for professional nursing practice in a variety of settings;
- Support students' professional growth in cultural competence and diversity appreciation;
- Provide educational experiences for students that promote leadership development, clinical excellence, ethical decision-making and scientific inquiry;
- Promote an environment that supports faculty teaching, scholarship, service and practice;
- Contribute to the advancement of the nursing profession through application of theory to clinical practice, scholarly activities and research.