SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Downstate Depot - Mail Services
||Mail Services Supervisors
||UH B-529 (Enter thru Downstate Depot Reception UH B-530A; UH Basement opposite Medical Records)
||Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6pm.
||Vacant Ext 3753 (718-270-3753)
DMC Outgoing Mail:
Mail Services UH B-529 processes all outgoing mail to the United States Postal Service (USPS) twice daily Mon-Fri at 2:30pm & 4pm.
- SEAL ALL ENVELOPES. All Outgoing USPS Mail must be sealed before being sent to the Mail Services department to avoid loss of mail contents. Consult the Mail Services supervisor in advance for automated sealing of large volume mailings.
- The return address MUST include the department's campus box number. This assists in cases where mail is returned as undeliverable (i.e.: Return to Sender) and mail workload statistics.
- USPS Addressing Guidelines necessary to insure speedy processing and to make DMC's mail eligible for USPS postage discounts:
- TYPE FULL ADDRESS IN CAPITAL LETTERS. Have a proper full address that is typed rather than hand written due to the higher postage cost of processing handwritten business mail. It enables the USPS automated machines to read the address more effectively. Whenever possible, use the appropriate software package (i.e.: Avery Label Pro, WordPerfect, Microsoft Word, etc.) either directly on the envelope or on mailing labels.
- Use Bar Codes wherever possible: Bar codes can be printed on envelopes using Microsoft Word or a similar word processing program. Within the Tools menu, choose Envelopes & Labels, then click on the envelope tab, click the option tab within the window. Finally proceed to the delivery point bar code and click on it. This results in a bar code printed below your typed address. USPS uses advanced machines to speed up the processing of the mail through the system. This process greatly increases the movement of your mail. Including a bar code with your typed address results in better efficiency.
- Use a 9-digit zip code (example: 11203-2098) whenever possible. The USPS zip code look up can be found at http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp
- Departmental funding is required when the most economical service is not used, for all special services, and for large mailings (mailings over 100 pieces, whether submitted at one time or the same mailing over the course of several days). click for more detail...
- Non State Business mail requires postage to be affixed or must be paid by the sender in advance (show Bursar's receipt).
- Mail Services monitors all outgoing mail for compliance.
Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMB). The United States Postal Service (USPS) announced retirement of the current POSTNET barcode as of January 2013 (was initially targeted May 2011) and replace it with a new IMB . Extension granted to provide Businesses with additional time to comply Contact Mail Services for assistance in planning.
Rate Increases effective January 27th, 2013. The majority of DMC’s Business Mail uses USPS Presort First Class business rates that will increase near 2.1% for letters up to 2 oz from $0.424 to $0.433 each.
Domestic Retail Rate Increases:
- First-Class Mail (1oz.) will increase1 cent to $0.46 cents.
- Postcards will increase 1 cent to $0.33 cents.
Domestic Priority Mail and Flat Products (Retail and Business Mail):
- Regular Envelope - $5.60
- Legal and Padded Envelope - $5.95
- Delivery Confirmation (online verification of delivery; not a mailed receipt) add 90 cents
- Certified Mail $3.10
- Return Receipt $2.55
- Small Box - $5.80
- Medium Box - $12.35
- Large Box - $16.85
- Large APO/FPO Box -$14.85
International New Product: Letters to all international destinations (up to1oz.) will be $1.10. Available at Post Offices- A new Global Forever stamp for 1 oz mail anywhere in the world @ one set price of $1.10.
Exterior USPS mailboxes