SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Downstate Depot - Mail Services
||Mail Services Supervisors
||UH B-529 (Enter thru Downstate Depot Reception UH B-530A; UH Basement opposite Medical Records)
||Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6pm.
||Vacant Ext 3753 (718-270-3753)
Good Customer Service is Our First Priority.
Mail Services Tips of the Month December 2013:
- United States Postal Service (USPS) News: USPS has announced that new First Class Postage Rates will go into effect on Jan 26,2014 as follows:
Mail Type Current Rate New Rate Net Change
Domestic Letter (1 oz.) 46 Cents 49 Cents 3 Cents Increase
Domestic Additional oz. 20 Cents 21 Cents 1 Cent Increase
International Letter (1 oz.) $1.10 $1.15 5 cents Increase
Domestic Postcards 33 Cents 34 Cents 1 Cent Increase
International Postcards $1.10 $1.15 5 Cents Increase
For your personal postage needs, consider stocking up on Forever Stamps that are purchased at current USPS 1st class rates and can be used at ANY future date - avoiding future postage rate increases. Available for purchase on campus at the University Bookstore and Gift Shop!
- Mail Box#'s are NOW Mail Stop Codes (MSC)! Your actual Mail Stop Code NUMBER remains the same. The DMC Main Campus has been using the words "Box #s" for years, but technically they are internal Mail Stop Codes (MSC) in United States Postal Service (USPS) lingo and DMC's Box# terminology must be changed. USPS recognizes the term "Mail Stop", "Mail Stop Code", and prefers the acronym "MSC". This change is needed due to increased USPS automation. While the USPS regulation has always been in place, local USPS staff were previously able to recognize and process mail to DMC without any problem. DMC began implementing this change by revising DMC's online webdirectory to reflect the new Mail Stop Code (MSC) nomenclature. Additional future changes including the formal DMC stationery and business cards, will be implemented in the near future.
Where to place the MSC on your addressing is equally important (see format below)! When a Mail Stop Code (MSC) is placed on the same line or below the street address line, or when the term "Box #" is used, the USPS automated scanner devices interpret it as USPS Post Office Box number and routes the processing to the wrong destination, and can result in mail being delayed or returned to sender.
DMC has already begun to experience a low and sporadic volume of such incoming delayed mail, but we anticipate such problems will escalate as USPS continues its increased automation. So your action is needed NOW. All DMC Main Campus incoming mail will need to transition to this new format (MSC), including subscriptions. The USPS automated systems do recognize the term "MSC" and alleviates the confusion with formal USPS Post Office Box#s.
Please begin using the new format ASAP:
-Submit revisions to all your incoming subscriptions and any professional mailing lists that you may be on.
- Update your DMC eMail signature format too! (Lotus Notes Preferences, 'signature' tab)
REQUIRED Address Fields for DMC Incoming Mail: Place your "MSC" next to the recipients’ name or department name, as follows:
Your Full Name, Your Title if desired
Your Department Name if desired, Your MSC (Mail Stop Code)
SUNY Downstate Medical Center (or your DMC affiliated company name)
450 Clarkson Ave (UHB departments may use the street address 445 Lenox Rd)
Brooklyn NY 11203-2098
*Students residing at the 811NYA, 825NYA residents halls as well as residents in 440 Lenox Rd are official USPS mail delivery sites that continue to use these street addresses (no change needed).
Mail Services Green Initiatives:
Mail Services is committed to providing our customers with efficient and cost effective services while minimizing negative effects to the environment. We are dedicated to using eco-friendly products and reducing our environmental impact to SUNY Downstate. We invite you to explore the green services, products, and tips detailed on this site. Green Tips:
- Go Green Forever Stamps: Make a positive impact on the environment! The United States Postal Service now offers Go Green Forever stamps available to buy at the University Bookstore (Student Center/ 394 Lenox Rd) and the Hospital Gift Shop (UHB Main Lobby). Forever stamps are purchased at current USPS 1st class rates and can be used at ANY future date - avoiding any increased postage rate increases.
- Green Packaging: Mail Services stocks environmentally friendly packaging materials provided by the USPS to give our clients "Green Options" to facilitate their shipping requirements. USPS is the only mailing and shipping company in the world to have earned “Cradle to Cradle Certification” for the environmentally friendly design of both its Priority Mail and Express Mail supplies, and a majority of ReadyPost boxes, envelopes and labels.
- Address for success: You can reduce the paper, labor, and fuel associated with mail delivery by simply addressing items properly. Improperly addressed mail re-circulating through the mail stream wastes fuel, manpower and increases cost.
- Eliminate unwanted mailings: You can help to reduce paper waste by stopping unwanted mail from being delivered to your office and home. To facilitate reduction of mail from solicitors that frequently send you “junk mail” contact the mailers directly and request them to remove you from their mailing list.
- USPS Customers May Get Cash For PERSONAL Old Electronic Devices: (Not Applicable to Devices which are the property of SUNY Downstate). The USPS is making recycling your old cell phone, PDA, digital camera or other small electronic device, quicker and easier than ever before, by expanding the availability of their recycling program to 3,100 retail locations. Customers can now trade in their old electronic gadgets for cash in addition to protecting the environment and possibly putting some money in their pocket at the same time.
The USPS has partnered with MaxBack, an electronics recycling company. MaxBack specializes in reducing waste that ends up in landfills by either buying back or simply recycling unwanted electronics.
Follow these easy steps to find out how much your old cell phone or electronic device is worth and to see if your items qualify for instant cash:
1. Search for your cell phone or electronic device.
2. Receive an instant quote and accept.
3. Mail it FREE via USPS Priority Mail.
4. Once MaxBack receives your item, they'll inspect it and send you your cash. Even if your old electronic device doesn't qualify for cash back, it can still be recycled. Free recycling mail-back envelopes are available at participating USPS locations, making it easy for customers to ship their used small electronics.
Click on the links below for additional information:
- USPS Stops Accepting International Lithium Battery Shipments: Effective immediately, the USPS will not accept outbound international shipments containing lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries and/or devices containing them. Under the international agency rules of International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the Universal Postal Union (UPU), lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries cannot be sent on international commercial air transportation, including to/ from APO (Army Post Office), FPO (Fleet Post Office) and DPO (Diplomatic Post Office) locations. Customers sending electronic devices containing removable lithium batteries must remove the lithium batteries before tendering international shipments. Electronic equipment with non-removable lithium batteries may not be sent by international or military mail. This prohibition does not apply to lithium batteries when mailed within the United States. If you require international shipment of any electronic device that contain lithium batteries, contact Mail Services for alternate methods.
Department of Administrative Services: Consolidated service units at a contiguous location to the extent practical, and commonly known as “Downstate Depot”, that currently includes: Central Receiving, Central Stores, Quick Copy Center, Mail/Messenger, Warehouse, and Property Control, and provides:
- A “one-stop” customer service location for multiple support unit services, and
- Maximized workforce cross-training and deployment dependant upon daily workload.
- Provide the highest standards of quality customer services and customer satisfaction while adhering to DMC’s Code of Ethic and Business Conduct, and Principles of Behavior (pgs 16-31), in support of DMC’s Educational, Clinical and Research enterprises, in a dependable manner while maintaining accurate records of all transactions within all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Provide the timely, accurate and reliable handling, processing and distribution with accountability of all incoming, outgoing and interoffice mail and parcels, while utilizing most cost-effective methods and deployment of staff and resources, and in compliance with all policies and procedures of the United States Postal Service and all applicable private couriers.