Sheldon H. Landesman, MD
Professor of Medicine
Assistant Dean for Clinical Education
Director, Essentials of Clinical Medicine Programs
Tel: (718) 270-3034 • Fax: (718) 270-1576
450 Clarkson Ave, Box 1245
Brooklyn, NY 11415
perinatal HIV, ethics related to HIV Current projects: collaborator -perinatal HIV study
Education and Training:
- Medical School: Downstate
- Internship: NYU-Bellvue Hospital Center
- Fellowship: National Cancer Institute, Hematology and Oncology
- Residency: Tufts,New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass.
- Fellowship: Infectious Disease, Tufts, New England Medical Center
Why I enjoy working at SUNY Downstate:
the students, the diversity and spectrum of clinical disease, my fellow ID faculty, short drive to work
- Landesman SH. , Kalish L, Burns D, Minkoff H, Fox H, et al.: Obstetrical Factors and the Transmission of HIV type 1 from mother to child. New England Journal of Medicine, 1996;334:1617-23Kalish LA, Pitt J, Lew J, Landesman SH, et al. Defining the time of Fetal orPerinatal Acquisition of HIV-1 Infection Based on Age of First Positive Culture. J Infec Dis, 1997; 175:712-5.
- Burns D, Landesman SH, et al. Influence of Other Maternal Variables on the Relationship between Maternal Virus Load and Mother-to-Infant Transmission ofHIV Type 1. J Infec Dis, 1997;175:1206-10
- Bayer R, Stayton C, Desvarieux M, Healton C, and Landesman S. Directly Observed Terapy and Treatment Completions for Tuberculosis in the United States - 1990-1994 Am Journal of Public Health1998; 88(7):1052-8
- The International Perinatal HIV Group (Landesman SH member of writing committee). The Mode of Delivery and the Risk of Vertical Transmissionof Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type 1 - A Meta-Analysis of 15 Prospective Cohort Studies. New England Journal of Medicine, 1999;340:977-987.
- Thorpe LE, Frederick M, Pitt J, Cheng I, Watts DH, Buschur S, Green K, Zorrilla C, Landesman SH, Hershow RC. Effect of hard-drug use on CD4 cell percentage, HIV RNA level, and progression to AIDS-defining class C events among HIV-infected women. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2004; 37(3):1423-30.
- Tuomala RE, Watts DH, Li D, Vajaranant M, Pitt J, Hammill H, Landesman S, Zorrilla C, Thompson B; Women and Infants Transmission Study. Improved obstetric outcomes and few maternal toxicities are associated with antiretroviral therapy, including highly active antiretroviral therapy during pregnancy.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005; 38(4):449-73.
- Magder LS, Mofenson L, Paul ME, Zorrilla CD, Blattner WA, Tuomala RE, LaRussa P, Landesman S, Rich KC. Risk factors for in utero and intrapartum transmission of HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005; 38(1):87-95
- Navas-Nacher EL, Read JS, Leighty RM, Tuomala RE, Zorrilla CD, Landesman S, Rosenblatt H, Hershow RC; for the Women and Infants Transmission Study Group. Mode of delivery and postpartum HIV-1 disease progression: The Women and Infants Transmission Study. AIDS; 2006;20(3):429-436.
- Read JS, Tuomala R, Kpamegan E, Zorrilla C, Landesman S, Brown G, Vajaranant M, Hammill H, Thompson B; Women and Infants Transmission Study Group. Mode of delivery and postpartum morbidity among HIV-infected women: the women and infants transmission study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001; 26(3):236-45.