Margaret R. Hammerschlag, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine
Director, Pediatric Infectious Diseases
Tel: (718) 270-2097 • Fax: (718) 270-1985
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Dept of Pediatrics, Box 49
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment of Chlamydia infections (C. trachomatis and C. pneumoniae), infection and asthma, Epidemiology and diagnosis of STIs in children being evaluated for suspected sexual abuse.
Effect of smoking on C. pneumoniae infection in a mouse model, In vitro activity of various antibiotics against C. trachomatis and C. pneumoniae.
Education and Training:
- BA-Barnard College, 1968
- MD-Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1972
- Residency in Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle1972-74
- Fellowship in Infectious Diseases, Channing laboratory, Harvard Medical School, 1974-76
- Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, 1976-78
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Epidemiology, University of Washington, School of Public Health, 1978-80.
- Hammerschlag MR, Cummings CC, Roblin PM, Williams TH, Delke I. Efficacy of neonatal ocular prophylaxis for the prevention of chlamydial and gonococcal conjunctivitis. New Engl J Med 320:769-72, 1989.
- Emre U, Roblin PM, Gelling M, Dumornay W, Rao M, Hammerschlag MR, Schachter J. The association of Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and reactive airway disease in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 148:727-731, 1994.
- Block S, Hedrick J, Hammerschlag MR, Cassell GH, Craft JC. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae in community acquired pneumonia in children: Comparative safety and efficacy of clarithromycin and erythromycin suspensions. Pediatr Infect Dis J 14:471-7, 1995.
- Roblin PM, Hammerschlag MR. Microbiologic efficacy of azithromycin and susceptibility to azithromycin of isolates of Chlamydia pneumoniae from adults and children with community acquired pneumonia. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 42:194-196, 1998.
- Kutlin A, Roblin P, Hammerschlag MR. Antibody response to Chlamydia pneumoniae infection in children with respiratory illness. J Infect Dis 177:720-4, 1998.
- Hammerschlag MR, Ajl S, Laraque D. Inappropriate use of nonculture tests for the detection of Chlamydia trachomatis in suspected victims of child sexual abuse: A continuing problem. Pediatrics 104:1137-9, 1999.
- Kutlin A, Roblin PM, Hammerschlag MR. Effect of prolonged treatment with azithromycin, clarithromycin and levofloxacin on Chlamydia pneumoniae in a continuous infection model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:409-412, 2002.
- Kumar S, Kutlin S, Roblin P, Kohlhoff S, Bodetti T, Timms P, Hammerschlag MR. Isolation and antimicrobial susceptibilities of chlamydial isolates from western barred bandicoots. J Clin Microbiol 45:392-394, 2007.
- Kutlin A, Roblin PM, Kumar S, Kohlhoff S, Bodetti T, Timms P, Hammerschlag MR. Molecular characterization of Chlamydophila pneumoniae isolates from western barred bandicoots. J Med Microbiol 56:407-417, 2007.
- Black CM, Driebe EM, Howard LA, Fajman NN, Sawyer MK, Girardet RG, Sautter RL, Greenwald E, Beck- Sague CM, Unger ER, Igietseme JU, Hammerschlag MR. Multicenter study of nucleic acid amplification tests for detection of Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae in children being evaluated for sexual abuse. Pediatr Infect Dis J 28:608-613, 2009.