Jack DeHovitz, MD
Distinguished Service Professor
Tel: (718) 270-1069 • Fax: (718) 270-3386
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Ave, Box 1240
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Global health, HIV disease in women, the impact of HIV on cardiovascular health, and the link between substance use and HIV infection.
- STAR Health Center
- NIH funded AIDS International Training Program focused in Central and Eastern Europe
- SAMHSA funded studies in HIV and substance use
- 911 First Responders Program
Education and Training:
- 1970 – 1974 B.S. Genetics, University of California, Davis
- 1974 – 1975 M.P.H. Community Health, Center at Houston, School of Public Health
- 1976 – 1980 M.D. The University of Texas Medical Branch (with High Honors), Galveston, Texas
- 1980 – 1981 Intern in Medicine St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center, New York, NY
- 1981 – 1982 Assistant Resident in Medicine The New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
- 1983 – 1985 Strang Fellowship in Public Health Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY
- 1983 – 1985 Fellow, International Medicine (Infectious Diseases) The New York Hospital, New York, NY
Why I enjoy working at SUNY Downstate:
SUNY Downstate provides me with the opportunity to improve the health of the residents of Brooklyn, train residents and fellows in the inner section between Infectious Disease and community prevention efforts as well as have a global impact.
- Hogben M, Gange SJ, Watts DH, Robison E, Young M, Richardson J, Cohen M, DeHovitz J. The effect of sexual and physical violence on risky sexual behavior and STDs among a cohort of HIV seropositive women. AIDS and Behavior. 2001;5:353-361.
- Uusküla A, McNutt LA, and DeHovitz J. Treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Estonia: consistency with the evidence-based medical principles. J Sex Trans Dis. 2004;31:631-635.
- Sackoff JE, Pfeiffer MR, Driver CR, Streett LS, Munsiff SS, DeHovitz JA.Tuberculosis prevention for non-US-born pregnant women. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;194:451-6.
- DeHovitz JA, Feldman JG, Holman S, Minkoff H. High Sensitivity C – Reactive Protein and Response to Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy in Women With HIV-1 Infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006;42:383-4.
- Campo R, Narayanan S, Clay P, DeHovitz JA, Johnson D, Jordan S, Squires K, Sajjan S, Markson L. Factors Influencing the Acceptance of changes in Antiretroviral Therapy among HIV-1 Infected Patients. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2007;21:329-38.
- Cocohoba J, Wang QJ, Cox C, Gange SJ, Cohen M, Glesby M, DeHovitz JA, Greenblatt RM. Consistency of initial antiretroviral therapy with HIV treatment guidelines in a representative group of HIV-infected women in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47:377-83.
- Antonova P, Jacobs DI, Bojar M, Cerny, R, Ciharova K, Frick MA, Fintel B, DeHovitz J, Bennett CL. Health Care in the Czech Republic, Two Decades on from the Velvet Revolution. The Lancet. 2010;375:179-181.
- Uusküla A, Kals M, Kosenkranius L, McNutt L, DeHovitz J. Population-based type-specific prevalence of high risk Human papillomavirus infection in Estonia. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2010;10:63.
- Laisaar K, Avi R, DeHovitz J, Uusküla A. Estonia at the threshold of the fourth decade of the AIDS era in Europe. AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses. 2011; 27: 1-11.
- Tsertsvadze T, Chkhartishvili N, Sharvadze L, Dvali N, Chokoshvili O, Gabunia P, Abutidze A, Nelson K, DeHovitz J, del Rio C. Outcomes of Universal Access to Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) in Georgia. AIDS Research and Treatment. 2011; 10: 1-7.