Find A PhysicianHome  |  Library  |  myDownstate  |  Newsroom  |  A-Z Guide  |  E-mail  |  Contact Us  |  Directions
curve gif

Office of Graduate Medical Education


Residents must notify the GME Office as soon as possible within 30 days of a name change. In order to officially change a name original legal documentation must be submitted to the GME Office. Two forms of employment eligibility and any supporting legal documentation should be submitted.


Any documents not printed in English must be accompanied by an acceptable, original U.S. translation, performed by a qualified translator, which includes all written and printed material on the original. Translation, performed by the applicant will be accepted only if it is verified by a qualified translator. Each translation must be accompanied by an Affidavit of Accuracy, in which the translator who performed or verified the translations affirms, having read the completed translation, that the entire document has been translated, that nothing has been omitted or added, and that the translation is true and correct. An original translation can be returned to the applicant only if a photocopy of the entire translation, including the Affidavit of Accuracy is submitted. Translation and qualifications of translators are reviewed on an individual basis. Examples of qualified translators are:
An officer or employee of an official translation bureau or agency, which are usually listed in classified telephone directories.
A professor or instructor who is teaching the translated language in an accredited college or university in the United States. The type of course being taught must be included in the Affidavit of Accuracy, which must be on official school stationery and notarized.


All Residents irrespective of salary source are required to obtain and carry a SUNY-DOWNSTATE Identification Badge.
This badge allows you to utilize the University’s Medical Library as well as other campus facilities and identifies you as an officer of the State University of New York. See The Downstate Card

The GME Office will verify that the residents’ credentials are up to date and that the resident is eligible for a SUNY ID. The GME Office provides a letter authorizing the issuance or renewal of SUNY Downstate IDs. In obtaining a SUNY Downstate ID, the resident is also provided a unique identification number which must be limited to use by that resident only. To obtain a SUNY-DOWNSTATE picture ID, residents must call the GME Office at (718) 270-4221 Monday - Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

ID cards are issued to Residents only if their credentialing file is complete.

ID Cards are issued by ID Card Office, 825 New York Avenue, Rm1-105B.
ID office hours are Monday – Friday, 10:00am – 4:00pm.

Lost Cards can be replaced for a fee of $20.00. Residents must go the Bursar’s office, and obtain a receipt, then report to the GME Office.

Further information can be obtained by calling (718) 270-4600.