- BROOKLYN ADAC is located at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. We are one of nine Alzheimer’s Disease Assistance Centers funded by the New York State Department of Health serving as Centers of Excellence for the diagnosis and care of Alzheimer's disease patients. Additional funding for BADAC is provided by the Brooklyn/Staten Island Philoptochos Charities.
- The Center offers comprehensive assessment and a full range of treatment for memory disorders. We provide counseling and educational services along with other services to include:
- Comprehensive memory evaluations including psychiatric, neurological and physical examination
- Neuroimaging such as MRI, CT Scan, PET
- On-going treatment for memory, mood, and behavioral problems
- Social services to provide access to services and resources including legal, Medicaid, home care, and day programs
- Opportunities to participate in new treatment and drug trials.
- Family support groups, including groups in Spanish and Greek
- Patient activity groups
- Public speakers for community groups
- Caregiver and home health aide training
- Volunteer Companion services
Language capacity include: French, Creole, Spanish, Greek and English.
Bi-lingual professional staff depends on which doctors (visiting fellows) are currently at the center that year.
Our staff consists of Board-Certified Physicians, Licensed Geriatric Psychiatrist, Social Workers, Certified Recreation Specialist (CTRS), and Gerontologist.
For appointments call 718-287-4806
Carl I. Cohen, M.D.
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
Professor and Director
To address any questions or make arrangements for an evaluation, please contact :
Lorna Walcott-Brown, M.S.
Director of Social Services
To participate in our Caregiver Support Group, please contact Ms. Walcott-Brown.
Andreas J. Adams, Ed.D.
Director of Community Services
To participate in our Patient Activity Group, please contact Dr. Adams.
BADAC staff meets with Deputy Mayor of Health and Human Services, Linda Gibbs (center-left) and Andrea Cohen, Director Of Health Services
Free resouces and information that you can use:
||About the Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center
|| BADAC Flyer
||Spring- Summer 2009
|| SUNY Alzheimers Newsletter 2009
||"That’s when I need the support of the Brooklyn Alzheimer’s Disease Assistance Center's group the most. "
BADAC is seeking $2,000,000 for the neuroscience department, memory research, and research on the neural pathology of Alzheimer’s and a state of the art facility. Memorial or honorific gifts are accepted. No gift is too small. Your generosity may improve the quality of life for the citizens of Brooklyn with AD, and help in the research for prevention and cure of Alzheimer’s disease.You can help make it happen at BADAC.
For tax exempt donations, make funds payable to the "Research Foundation of SUNY."
Yes, I would like to support BADAC by making a gift: (click here)BADAC_Donation
To discuss donations further, please contact:
Dr. Carl Cohen