SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
11 / 12 / 2018
- 14490 BSB Power Upgrade Project
The Contractor will be disrupting power on the Basement through the 7th Floors of the BSB on Wednesday the 14th and Thursday November 15th starting at 6pm for departments at the extreme east-end of the Building. Each of the affected departments have been contacted to plan for any provisions for temporary power that may be required inside Laboratories during the power disruption.
- 14496-00 BSB DLAR HVAC Upgrade Project
The Contractor will assemble a scaffold in the alleyway between the BSB Library wing and the HSEB. Crews will be seen accessing the area throughout the week.
- 141024 UHB Bronchoscopy HVAC Project
The Contractor will continue to demolish wall sections inside the 2nd Floor Bronchoscopy room. Efforts to mitigate the noise from this area will be in place as crews remove mechanical piping and ductwork inside Room A2-634 and the adjacent 2nd Floor corridor and Bathroom.
- UHB DUCT Cleaning Project
Crews will be seen on the 6th floor as they survey and investigate areas in several of the University Hospital’s Departments.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus