SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Facilities Management & Development
Welcome to the FM&D Website
Our Departmental Profile
The Facilities Management and Development Department at SUNY Downstate Medical Center is comprised of a diverse group of multitalented individuals with backgrounds ranging in Architectural, Mechanical, Electrical Design, Project Management, Code Compliance, Environmental Health and Safety, and Building Services. Our highly diverse background is a major reason why our department is uniquely qualified to handle requests for services internally. Our main office is located in the Basic Science Building room1-15.
Facilities Management & Development is responsible for the overall maintenance and operation of all SUNY Downstate Medical Center buildings and grounds which totals in excess of 2,500,000 gross square feet. The department is subdivided into four primary divisions:Physical Plant, Design and Construction, Environmental Health & Safety.
We take tremendous pride in continuously maintaining the highest standards possible in providing a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for all staff, students, patients, and faculty at the SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
Campus Construction Activity Updates
8 / 13 / 2018
- UHB IT Closet Power Circuit installations
Crews will be in the Basement area while installing electrical components above the ceiling.
- 14490 BSB Power Upgrade Project
The Contractor is proceeding with a power disruption affecting UHB Switchgear Equipment on August 22nd. This planned event will require disruptions for sections of the UHB such as all floors of the Research wing and Bed tower areas. The overall duration of the outage will be minimized with the use of an external Emergency Generator located along the entrance of the Service ramp.
- Residence Hall HVAC Renovation Project
The Contractor's crew is currently changing-out critical components in the basement of 811 New York Avenue and will be seen during normal working hours accessing the area from Lenox Road entrance.
- UHB Duct Cleaning and Survey Project
Survey crews will be seen on several of the floors of the University Hospital Departments continuing their above-ceiling survey & investigation. Access will be arranged with each of the UHB Departments for precise location requirements.
- HSEB Façade Repair Project
The Contractor's crew will visible in areas on all of the roof sections preparing to replace bricks high above the ground level of the back-side exterior of the Building. The crew will be drilling that will be heard when they are on the suspended scaffolding system visible from some of the upper-floor common areas of the HSEB.
- Excellent service to the Campus community
- Excellent stewardship of the campus environment
- Professional and effective communication
- High standards for professional and personal accountability
- Sustainable development and management of campus resources
- Develop methods for campus communications on facilities projects and deferred maintenance problems and issues.
- Enhance tools to track, measure and report on facilities management for this Campus.
- Improve the project delivery system within Design and Construction Unit and associated support services.
- Enhance the safety of the Plant Utility area, staff properly per regulations, reducing staff burnout.
- Define proper facilities staffing for an institution of this size complexity and niche service ( peer institutions and assoc.)
- Ensure staff are properly trained, have tools, equipment and operating systems to perform work efficiently and effectively to meet the mission and goals of the Campus