Richard Sinert, DO
Professor & Vice Chairman for Research
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internal Medicine - SUNY-Downstate Medical Center / Kings County Hospital Center 1984 - 1987
Nephrology - Mount Sinai Medical Center 1987 - 1989
Areas of Professional Interest:
Trauma, Hemorrhagic Shock, Asthma, Diabetes, Hypertension, Renal Failure, Statistics, Evidence-Based Medicine
Peer - Reviewed Publications:
Search Dr. Sinert's Publications on PubMed.
1. London RD, Lipkowitz MS, Sinert R, Abramson RG. Modulation of ionic permeability in a nonpolarized cell: effect of cAMP. Am J Physiol 1989; 257:F985-93.
2. Sinert R, Scalea T. Retropharyngeal and bowel hematomas in an anticoagulated patient. Acad Emerg Med 1994; 1:67-72.
3. Sinert R, Kohl L, Rainone T, Scalea T. Exercise-induced rhabdomyolysis. Ann Emerg Med 1994; 23:1301-6.
4. Scalea TM, Sinert R, Duncan AO, et al. Percutaneous central venous access for resuscitation in trauma. Acad Emerg Med 1994; 1:525-31.
5. Shrivastava D, Rao TK, Sinert R, Khurana E, Lundin AP, Friedman EA. The efficacy of erythropoietin in human immunodeficiency virus-infected end-stage renal disease patients treated by maintenance hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 1995; 25:904-9.
6. Shah BR, Santucci K, Sinert R, Steiner P. Acute isoniazid neurotoxicity in an urban hospital. Pediatrics 1995; 95:700-4.
7. Rinnert S, Scalea T, Sinert R. Management of nontraumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage in a patient with sickle-cell disease: a case report. Acad Emerg Med 1996; 3:859-63.
8. Akerman MJ, Sinert R. A successful effort to improve asthma care outcome in an inner-city emergency department. J Asthma 1999; 36:295-303.
9. Baron BJ, Sinert R, Sinha AK, Buckley MC, Shaftan GW, Scalea TM. Effects of traditional versus delayed resuscitation on serum lactate and base deficit. Resuscitation 1999; 43:39-46.
10. Sinert R, Guerrero P, Quintana E, et al. The effect of hypertension on the response to blood loss in a rodent model. Acad Emerg Med 2000; 7:318-26.
11. Sinert R, Baron BJ, Ko TC, Zehtabchi S, Kalantari HT, Sapan A,D, Patel MR., Silverberg M, Stavile KL. The Effect of Pregnancy on the Response to Blood Loss in a Rat Model. Resuscitation, 2001 50; 219-227
12. Sinert R, Spencer M, Wilson R, Silverberg M, Patel MR, Doty C, Sapan A, Baron BJ. The Effect of Hypertension on Uncontrolled Hemorrhage in a Rodent Model, Acad Emerg Med 2002 9: 767-774.
13. Spencer MT, Baron BJ, Sinert R, Mahmoud G, Punzalan C, Tintinalli A. Necessity of hospital admission for pediatric minor head injury. Am J Emerg Med. March 2003. 21 (2): 111-114.
14. O'Neill PA, Sinert RH, Sian KU, Kwan TW. Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty in a patient with myocardial infarction after penetrating trauma. J Trauma 2003; 54:1000-5.
15. Baron BJ, Sinert R, Zehtabchi S, Stavile KL, Scalea TM. Diagnostic utility of sublingual PCO2 for detecting hemorrhage in penetrating trauma patients. J Trauma 2004; 57(1):69-74.
16. Hahn BJ, Erogul M, Sinert R. Case report of tetanus in an immunized, healthy adult and no point of entry. J Emerg Med 2004; 27(3):257-60.
17. Manoach S, Corinaldi C, Paladino L, et al. Percutaneous transcricoid jet ventilation compared with surgical cricothyroidotomy in a sheep airway salvage model. Resuscitation 2004; 62(1):79-87.
18. Zehtabchi S, Sinert R, Rinnert S, et al. Serum ionized magnesium levels and ionized calcium-to-magnesium ratios in adult patients with sickle cell anemia. Am J Hematol 2004; 77(3):215-22.
19. Zehtabchi S, Baron BJ, Sinert R, Yadav K, Lucchesi M. Ethanol and illicit drugs do not affect the diagnostic utility of base deficit and lactate in differentiating minor from major injury in trauma patients. Acad Emerg Med 2004; 11(10):1014-20.
20. Jonathan A. Handler, MD, Craig F. Feied, MD, Kevin Coonan, MD, John Vozenilek, MD, Michael Gillam, MD, Peter R. Peacock, Jr., MD, Rich Sinert, DO and Mark S. Smith, MD. Computerized Physician Order Entry and Online Decision Support. Acad Emerg Med 2004; 11(11): 1135-1141.
21. Sinert R, Spektor M. Evidence-based emergency medicine/rational clinical examination abstract. Clinical assessment of hypovolemia. Ann Emerg Med 2005;45(3):327-9.
22. Zehtabchi S, MD, Sinert R, DO, Baron BJ, MD, Paladino L, MD, Yadav K, MD. Does Ethanol Explain the Acidosis Commonly Seen in Ethanol-Intoxicated Patients? J Toxicol Clin Toxicol. 2005;43(1):161-166
23. Sinert, R.; Finkelstein, D.; Pius, M.; Baron, B. J.; Adar, E.; Rizzo, P.; Shahidi, H. The effect of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus on uncontrolled hemorrhage in a rodent model. Resuscitation 2005;66(1):83-90.
24. Sinert R, Spektor M, Gorlin A, et al. Ionized magnesium levels and the ratio of ionized calcium to magnesium in asthma patients before and after treatment with magnesium. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2005; 65:659-70.
25. Sinert R, Tillotson RD, Adar E, et al. The effect of ethanol on uncontrolled hemorrhage in a rodent model. Acad Emerg Med 2005; 12:1141-7.
26. Zehtabchi S, Sinert R, Goldman M, Kapitanyan R, Ballas J. Diagnostic performance of serial haematocrit measurements in identifying major injury in adult trauma patients. Injury. 2006;37(1):46-52
27. Hipp A, Sinert R. Evidence-based emergency medicine/rational clinical examination abstract. Clinical assessment of low back pain. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47(3):283-5.
28. Sinert R, Zehtabchi S, Bloem C, Lucchesi M. Effect of Normal Saline Infusion on the Diagnostic Utility of Base Deficit in Identifying Major Injury in Trauma Patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2006; 13:1269-1274
29. Sinert R, Zehtabchi S, Desai S, Peacock P, Altura BT, Altura BM. Serum ionized magnesium and calcium levels in adult patients with seizures. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2007;67(3):317-326.
30. Zehtabchi S, Sinert R, Wallace D, Caton M, Chen J, Chang B, Lucchesi M. Is routine electrolyte testing necessary for diabetic patients who present to the emergency department with moderate hyperglycemia? European Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2007; 14(2): 82-86
31. Sinert R, Doty CI. Evidence-based emergency medicine review. Prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2007;50(3):335-45, 45 e1-2.
32. Zehtabchi S, Soghoian S, Sinert R. Utility of Stewart's strong ion difference as a predictor of major injury after trauma in the ED. Am J Emerg Med. 2007 Oct;25(8):938-41
33. Amitai A, Sinert R. Necrotizing Fasciitis as the Clinical Presentation of a Retroperitoneal Abscess. Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 34, Issue 1, January 2008, Pages 37-40.
34. Weizberg M, Gillett BP, Sinert RH. Penile Discharge as a Presentation of Perirectal Abscess. Journal of Emergency Medicine, Volume 34, Issue 1, January 2008, Pages 45-47.
35. Zehtabchi S, Sinert R, Soghoian S, et al. Identifying traumatic brain injury in patients with isolated head trauma: are arterial lactate and base deficit as helpful as in polytrauma? Emerg Med J 2007;24:333-5.
36. Zehtabchi S, Soghoian S, Liu Y, Carmody K, Shah L, Whittaker B, Sinert R. The Association of Coagulopathy and Traumatic Brain Injury in Patients with Isolated Head Injury. Resuscitation. 2008;76(1):52-56.