Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center
at SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Who to call?
To address any questions, make arrangements for an evaluation, learn about services, or to participate in our Caregiver Support Group, please contact Ms. Lorna Walcott-Brown at (718) 287-4806. Thank you.
BADAC News and Events
- On March 22, 2012, Councilman Dr. Mathieu Eugene, accompanied by Mr. Michael Harrell, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Assistant Vice President for Community and Governmental Relations, visited the Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center (BADAC). Read More …
- Find out about the 2011 BADAC Board Meeting. Read More …
- BADAC Meets With Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz
Read More …
BROOKLYN ADAC is located at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Originally, we began as one of eight Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Centers funded by the New York State Department of Health serving as Centers of Excellence for the diagnosis and care of Alzheimer's disease patients. Current support for Brooklyn ADAC is provided by SUNY Downstate Medical Center, The Brooklyn Borough President's Office, the Alzheimer's Association NYC Chapter, and various donations.
The Center offers comprehensive assessment and a full range of treatment for memory disorders. We provide counseling and educational services along with other services to include:
- Comprehensive memory evaluations including psychiatric, neurological and physical examination
- Neuroimaging such as MRI, CT Scan, PET
- On-going treatment for memory, mood, and behavioral problems
- Social services to provide access to services and resources including legal, Medicaid, home care, and day programs
- Opportunities to participate in new treatment and drug trials.
- Family support groups, including groups in Spanish and Greek
- Patient activity groups
- Public speakers for community groups
- Caregiver and home health aide training
- Volunteer Companion services
Language capacity include: French, Creole, Spanish, Greek and English. Bi-lingual professional staff depends on which doctors (visiting fellows) are currently at the center that year. Our staff consists of Board-Certified Physicians, Licensed Geriatric Psychiatrist, Social Workers, Certified Recreation Specialist (CTRS), and Gerontologist.
Help Support BADAC
We appreciate the donor support during our 2010-2011 funding campaign. Our commemorative journal—Odyssey: Poetry and Art of Life Journeys—will be available in December 2011. We thank the following local Brooklyn artists for donating their paintings, photography, and prints to this unique project:
Roberto Falck Photography
Bruce Morrow (Brooklyn's own "Cousin Brucie")
You can help support the ongoing research and clinical initiatives of the Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center. Visit the Giving Online page of SUNY Downstate Institutional Advancement & Philanthropy for more information. Be sure to select Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center at SUNY Downstate from the drop down list.