Department of Anesthesiology - Residents Section
Survival tools - OR Setup (adult room)
Walk-in – be sure all items are in working condition!!!
- Suction setup – tubing, yankauer, canister
- EKG (pads)
- Pulse Oximeter
- BP cuffs
- Head strap and arm boards
- O2 tank back-up (>1000 psi) – turn OFF after checking!!!
- CO2 absorbent – fresh!
- New circuit and mask
- Positive pressurized leak check w/ O2 flow off, check pressure with gauge using O2 flush and closed APR valve, hold 30 psi for 20 sec
- Calibrate machine and check scavenging system
- Calibrate O2 analyzer (21%)
- Capnograph – blow into tubing
- Volatile gases – full?
- Emergency drugs: lido 2% 5cc, atropine 3cc, ephedrine 10cc, neo cope – check light!
- Blades - Miller, MAC 3 and MAC 4
- ETT 7.5 w/ stylette (NOT past Murphy's eye); check cuff for leak w/ 10 cc syringe
- Gauze pads, EtOH swabs, lubricant
- Syringes for Glyco 3cc, Versed 3cc, fentanyl 5cc, sux 10cc, nimbex 10cc, STP 20cc, lido 2% 5cc
- Oral and nasal airway, tongue depressor
- Esophageal stethoscope and probe
- ETT pink tape and regular tape
- Drape holders/clips (you can use tape)
- #3, #4, #5 LMA (under table) for emergency
- Heat/moisture exchanger
- Nerve stimulator
Peripherals – Do NOT open until needed!
- Bear hugger machine w/ upper and lower body blankets
- Fluid warmer machine w/ primed tubing
- CVP line transducer – remember to zero!
- A-line transducer w/ 500 U heparin in 500cc NS or D5W
- Propofol pump and tubing w/ stopcock
- Shoulder roll – 3 sheets rolled and taped together
- Christmas tree for circuit
- Box of gloves
- IV fluids w/ stop-cock and primed tubing – LR or NS; D5 0.2% for ESRD
- Extra pulse ox sensors
- Albuterol MDI w/ 60cc syringe
Welcome and good luck!