Thanks for Celebrating
SUNY Downstate Occupational Therapy Program's
Join us, along with the entire College of Health Related Professions
for a year long calendar of events!
Save the date:
International Conference: It’s all about Time: Assessments and Interventions in Time
Management over the Life Span
Sunday, October 16, 2016
8:30 am -5:00 pm
Opening in the fall of 1966, the College of Health Related Professions initially enrolled twenty students:
three in physical therapy; four in occupational therapy; and thirteen in medical computing science.
Join us as we look back on half a century of incredible accomplishments.
Come spend the afternoon with old friends and colleagues,
as we celebrate
50 years of Excellence in Education!
Here is a list of alumni who are serving as class representatives. If your class is not represented here and you’d like to serve,
please contact email@example.com
Alumni Class Reps
1974 Suzanne White
1976 Margaret Kaplan
1984 Debbie Schwartz
1985 Catherine Benecke Varunok
1992 Mary Shea
1996 Judy Spence
2000 Marsha Eiserman and Jennifer Richman
2001 Christine Kiefer
2003 Erika Levine Irogoyen
2005 Leah Rosenblum Rubino
2006 Zahava Friedman
2007 Gitty Rosenberg
2008 Sarah Keschner Mechlin
2009 Julie Lee Mui ( graduated 2008)
2010 Erick Leon
2014 Esther Arden and Shantae Rhone
2015 Samantha Agnese
If you are interested in being your Class Rep, please indicate it on that section of this 50th Anniversary Alumni Update.
Every alum is asked to update your records by completing this 50th Anniversary Alumni Update.
We look forward to celebrating the 50th Anniversary with you!
- Alumni working in Early Intervention (EI) are invited to join our Specialization in EI -SEI Online Peer Network on AOTA's OTConnections to network and share with other OT's and students who are interested in providing quality family -centered services to infants and young children. If it does not link directly to OT Connections, go to http://otconnections.aota.org/.
After you sign up for OT Connections, search for SEI Online Peer Network and begin networking with us!
- We are always looking for OT's in EI to be Level 1 Fieldwork Supervisors. If you are interested, please contact Jasmin Thomas, our Academic Fieldwork Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are many Downstate OT alumni activities. Alumni: please share your photos and summaries with the faculty and staff.
- We maintain ongoing e-mail contact with all SUNY Downstate OT Alumni. If you are not receiving ongoing updates about the program and job announcements, please e-mail Joyce at email@example.com In addition, if your contact information changes, please send an update.
Selected SUNY Downstate OT Alumni Activities
- In May 2009, Annie (Hall Padmore and Susan Greenberg organized a reunion for the Class of 2002.
- In November 2006, over 40 Downstate OT graduates joined CHRP alumni and faculty to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the College of Health Related Professions. Jeff Tomlinson (Class of 1980) was honored with the Occupational Therapy Program's Distinguished Alumnus Award. Former faculty in attendance included Sigrid Hansen, our program's founder, Judy Grossman, Pat Trossman, Pat Gentile, Michelle Mills, and Jim Hinojosa.
- In October 2004, graduates of the Class of 1974 celebrated their 30th Anniversary, at the home of one of its classmates, Downstate Professor Suzanne White. It was no easy task to contact old classmates. With a combination of accessing names through the NYS professional websites, word of mouth and detective work, we were able to find most of the class. t was an amazing reunion! Ten of our 15 graduates made the event, as well as Dr. Joyce Sabari (present OT Program Director) and past director, Simme Cynkin Klebanow. (Inset picture - L to R: Simme, Joyce)
Heni Feit has continued to work in Gerontology and lives in Brooklyn.
Nancy Cunningham worked in Mental Health and is now retired in Oregon.
Alice DeLuise-Massa is a Director of Rehabilitation and lives in New Rochelle.
Marion Osterlitz is a school-based therapist in Pearl River.
Roberta Schwartz works in Early Intervention, is completing a Master's Degree in Special education and lives in Maryland.
Barbara Fleischer is a Nursing Home Administrator and lives in Hawthorne.
Miriam Esterkis works in Early Intervention and lives in New Jersey.
Bonnie Hudson is a Hand Therapist and lives in San Diego.
Suzanne White has worked in Mental Health and has been a college professor for many years at NYU and Downstate.
Linda Hindy-Telford has worked in rehab and school-based OT and is completing a Master's Degree in Educational Technology.
We all agreed that our Downstate education prepared us well for productive and interesting careers. (Contributed by Linda Hindy-Telford)