SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Medical Informatics Program
Visit the Medical Informatics Program Admissions site to apply today.
News & Events
Medical Imaging Informatics Track
A new medical imaging informatics specialty track is under development. Program requirements and detail will be posted soon.
Welcome to Medical Informatics!
Our Medical Informatics program offers students the opportunity to study a field that is transforming the way healthcare is delivered in the U.S and internationally. Our program will provide you with the knowledge and practical skills needed to implement and maintain the electronic health record (EHR). The program is convenient for working adults by scheduling classes in the evening. The courses are taught by full time faculty and adjunct professionals currently employed in informatics. The program is affiliated with major hospitals and health care organizations throughout the New York City metropolitan area.
If you are ready to enter a dynamic and rewarding profession, the medical informatics faculty and staff will help you in this quest. You can attend informational sessions held throughout the year or make an appointment with one of the faculty members.
Medical Informatics is a new and developing discipline with an emphasis on technology as an integral tool to organize, analyze, manage, and use health information, clinical data, images, and knowledge for patient care, health education, administration and research.
Dr. Isaac Topor
Chairman, Medical Informatics program
Mission & Philosophy
The mission of the Medical Informatics Program is to provide a high quality education to students studying in the field of medical informatics who will be prepared to be employed in an urban environment. This will be accomplished by:
- Provide students with the knowledge, theories, and skill required in the field of medical informatics.
- Provide students with a challenging and supportive learning environment.
- Provide students with opportunities to collaborate with faculty from the College of Medicine, College of Nursing, the School of Public Health, and the College of Health Related Professions.
- Provide extensive clinical experience which will prepare the students to practice in different health care facilities and in urban communities.
- Create a sense of professionalism.